Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Underachieving Thoughts

I don't have enough to do, so I spend my spare time googling people I knew in college - see what they're up to. It turns out that they are all way more successful in their chosen careers than I am. (Actually, now that I think of it, I don't have a career.) One is leading some amazing sustainable agriculture program at a well-known state university, another runs his own law firm with his wife as partner (good thing he didn't marry me, huh?), yet another is a dean at an Ivy League university. It strikes me that they didn't waste the money they invested in their education the way I have. It also strikes me that they're not bored enough to sit around googling people they used to know but will never speak to again. Why? Because they have things going on, money to make, important people to get back to.

As for me, well, the kids are in bed, everyone's been diapered, wiped, and brushed for the evening, and my teenage daughter (aka "the Slave") is getting the dirty dishes into the dishwasher so that I can go in there and do the final kitchen scrubdown. I might try knitting a hat after that.

I suppose the world does need underachievers, but I'm not sure for what. Maybe to do all the grunt work, like diapering and teeth-brushing and kitchen cleaning...

Someone tried to kill me this morning, by the way. I dragged myself out of bed at 6:15 to go walking with my neighbor Cindy and found her waiting for me outside with her visiting sister-in-law. Who turned out to be the fastest walker in the Western Hemisphere. I knew I was in trouble when she commented that she doesn't usually get such a late start. I was practically jogging to keep up with her, and my neighbor wasn't doing much better. My only comfort was knowing that, if I did suffer an exercise-induced heart attack, I'd probably be saved. Not by Cindy, mind you - she was too out of breath to administer CPR at that point. But by the sister-in-law, who happened to be a doctor.

Did I mention that this chick was 20 years older than me? It was embarrassing.

90 degrees today, and again tomorrow......autumn, we hardly knew ye.

9 comments:

  1. "aka The Slave" - killed me. Underachiever? Mommy? I don't know. I'm sure you've heard all the same arguments/pep talks (brainwashings!) I have, so I won't bore you with them, other than to say... did you know there was a WINE CALLED MAD HOUSEWIFE? How perfect is that? Huh? How perfect, I ask you?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snirt. I know that almost jogging feeling quite well, and I am a fast walker. Mr. Hot, however? is faster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've heard all the arguments (rationalizations?) about how I have the most important job in the world (hey, someone has to raise the next generation of underachievers); I think I've spouted them myself any number of times. But when I realize (during an infrequent dark moment of the soul) that there are people that I know doing interesting jobs which have a positive impact on people and render a tangible service to society, I've just gotta wonder why I spend all my time visiting the grocery store (and Target).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I google people, too. When Chris has been traveling too much, I google ex-boyfriends, just for the heck of it. Mainly I just feel relieved I didn't marry any of THEM.

    But the alumni magazine? Makes me feel like crap every single issue...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hardly think mother of three is an underachiever! So what if the world judges people on a monetary scale? You are paid in kisses! (found you at Dorky Dad's)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, right now it feels as though I am paid in whine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now, now, I hardly think that your kids are going to be upset with you for being home with them as they grew up. In fact, I think they might just be very grateful. Just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I don't even have time to google people. If I finish diapering and bedding all the kids I generally hang out on my blog and then crash. But, I don't see you as an underachiever at all. You are running a substantial not-for-profit, and if your educational efforts in teaching morality and respect for the world goes well, then your "clients" will all grow up to run universities and save the world. Or, they may just want to do what their hero and life long mentor has done, and be a stay at home mom. You rock because you chose to leave the fast track (or not get on it) and instead poor your energy into something that doesn't pay you a wage or bring you prestige. Not to judge anyone else or their choice, we all have a path to follow; just don't fool yourself into thinking that the path your on is worthy or worthwhile. That's my two cents...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm....I may have said this a couple of years ago, before my teenage daughter started showing me that all my efforts to teach morality and respect may have been for naught....naturally, I'm second-guessing the whole concept now.

    ReplyDelete