Friday, December 26, 2008

Chanukah, Oh Chanukah...

Christmas is over, so that must mean it's time for a Chanukah party! That's right, folks, here at our house the festivities never stop. Never, ever, ever...

The plan was that we'd invite my best friend, her husband, and their 5 kids (including the newborn) over for a nice, relaxed dinner. Then Uncle Matt said he might show up. Okay, one extra person, no big deal. Then he called last night and said he and Grandma and Grandpa were all making the trip down here. So that's, um, plus 3. Oh, and this morning my friend mentioned her mother was visiting. Four.

Hmmm....

So Larry and I spent the day cleaning up the house, cooking, wiping Susie's runny nose approximately 7 million times, and running errands for all the things I forgot to pick up during my 3 (final) shopping excursions on Wednesday.

Did I mention the plumbers? We invited them too, as unspeakable things were happening in the downstairs shower every time we tried to use the kitchen sink. Yup, it was that sort of a day! Everyone (including the plumbers) showed up at the same time. The fun never stops! The plumbers didn't want to stay and play Dreidel, however. I don't know why.

You know how to upset a teen daughter? Enlist her help in making over one hundred latkes - and then decide that the electric frying pan is smoking up the house too much, and tell her to cook them outside on the deck, in the cold, in full view of any neighbors walking by.

I can't believe she didn't run away.

15 comments:

  1. Would an oy vey be appropriate here?

    Put a dollar in her future-therapy jar and call it a day. :-) Or tell her about all the firewood I had to haul when I was a kid. In the snow. Both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure know how to have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Chanukah! Hope you have a wonderful celebration....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee hee. There's always next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. she'll never ever forget that....and one day....years and YEARS from now. She'll tell the story with pride and laughter to her own teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is one crazy party. silly plumbers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are three things we all endeavor to put up with for the sake of my mother. Mad Libs, Clue, and Dreidel. Oh yeah, and chocolate chip ice cream. Four things. Thank God there are now kids big enough to spin a dreidel so I don't have to. Gotta get them drilled on their parts of speech quick so I can get out of Mad Libs too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to stumble upon your blog. I only have 3 children (living) right now, so I love to read from those with more. I hope you had a nice, busy holiday week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suppose the plumbers might have had to charge you for a game of dreidel, so perhaps it is for the best.
    We stir-fry outside year-round. It's the best way to not have to clean up spattered messes on the kitchen walls. But my oldest teen has an attitude like your teen daughter. (Wait, I thought the boy was making the latkes!)

    Hope you have a wonderful party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that WAS a lot of stuff going on at your house!

    Laughing at the idea of your teenage daughter cooking the latkes outside, just mortified at being made to do it where people could see her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those plumbers didn't know what they were missing, in wanting to leave early. Your family is way more interesting than leaky pipes - anyday, I mean Everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am totally looking to you for guidance on the teen mortification front. You are an expert.

    Plumbers can be so dull at parties, can't they?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oy. My kid would have, actually I haven't seen my teen since the big Christmas family dinner where I made her help. I think I'll go look for her. Oh, Merry belated Christmas and Happy Chanukah too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your poor daughter.

    Happy Chanukah!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like so much fun, we invited our furnace repairman to stay for our New Years Day party, he didn't stay. Repairmen are so boring now-a-days ;)

    ReplyDelete