Friday, August 05, 2011

7 Quick Takes: The Not-At-BlogHer Edition





Larry took Theo to his new, further-away school this weekend for orientation week, leaving me home alone.  Well, I wish he'd left me home alone.  Actually, I'm here with 5 children, all of whom insist on being fed...

********

I'm still not at BlogHer11.  My fairy godmother must have gotten lost.  Now what do I do with this dratted pumpkin?

********

I pulled carpool duty for a bunch of teens this evening.  The texting was so loud, I could barely drive.  Now I'm trying to remember what we did in the car as teens - you know, before all this texting technology existed? 

Oh, wait...never mind....

********

It stopped being too hot here.  Now I have no idea what to complain about.  Birthdays, maybe?  We have 2 of them coming up next week, meaning I need to bake cakes that actually look like something.  I don't have a good track record for that.  Also?  In an unguarded moment, I promised Rachel I would take her to Chuckie Cheese for her special day.  Lord help me...

********
Did I mention we spent 3000 dollars on car maintenance/repairs this past week for our 2 minivans?  That's in addition to whatever we spend on gasoline these days.  I don't even keep track any more.  I can't figure out how to cut down on our transportation costs. I mean, we could sell the house and move to the city, where in theory we wouldn't need to drive so much.  But to do that, we'd have to spend even more money and untold hours to renovate our circa-1970 bathrooms first.  Might as well save ourselves some stress by spending the moolah on petrol and staying put... 

If there are any economists reading this, take note:  this is how real-life consumers make their decisions.  So you can throw out all those cutesy supply-and-demand graphs that don't conform with reality and get with the program, all right? 

You're welcome.

********

The left shift key on my keyboard doesn't work, and it's driving me crazy.  I'd get a new keyboard, but I'm spending all my money gassing up my minivans.

********

You should check out the host of 7 Quick Takes, Jenn of Conversion Diary - she isn't at BlogHer11, either.  Probably because she's enjoying the weather in Texas too much to leave it right now...




[Texting poster: Zazzle]
[Empty pockets image: ICIS]

9 comments:

  1. Maybe we should do an Anti-BlogHer and meet up at a truck stop somewhere between us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent nearly $1800 on one car, last week, with another $2800 that needs/"needs" (i.e., dealership wants) to be done before the end of February 2012. All part of the evil plan to keep me away from the spinning wheel of my dreams...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry about that dratted pumpkin sitting around. It'll change back into a gas-guzzling van in no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts always make me smile!

    Some of those kids are of cooking age. In the summer, I propose, team cooking! It keeps them busy and really, they have to eat what they cook. It becomes a competition to out do the siblings. Best vacation of my life was when I established cooking and cleaning teams and spent my time reading on the front porch. You deserve this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Deb - cooking and cleaning teams...hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad my husband works on our cars (although they have to be really bad before he gets around to it).

    Before texting we could actually hear what they were all up to. Now they can text each other their evil plans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone In our area organized a "not going to BlogHer" dinner last night.
    I couldn't go to that either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We missed you at BlogHer. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHY do these kids need to be fed EVERY DAY? The biggest mystery of my parenting.

    Car repair bills -- they come around whenever we catch a break and when we get our tax return. I hate them.

    ReplyDelete