Saturday, January 05, 2013

Mr. Bates - Too Good To Be True?

Look, I love Mr. Bates as much as the next gal, I do.  My heart goes pit-a-pat every time he limps across my TV screen.  But I think we all need to discuss whether or not he really is innocent of murdering his wife.

Yes, I KNOW that she was low enough to frame Mr. Bates for murder by committing suicide.  But I am no longer completely convinced by his continued portrayal of stoicism in the face of adversity.  Is he really such a sad sack that bad things just keep happening to him?  Doesn't that version of events sort of detract from his allure?

Innocent?  Or not?  And does it matter?  Just LOOK at him!

So, spill it, people: is Mr. Bates a murderer or not?  Is he lying to Anna?  Just typing those questions feels like a sacrilege.  Yet...he didn't seem all that surprised to find himself sitting on death row, is what I'm thinking...


[Mr. Bates image (sigh): PBS]

13 comments:

  1. He's innocent. I can't wait for it to start again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, girl. . .hold onto your hat. That's all I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought he was guilty because OMG how annoying was the wife? I liked it as a plot point because his personality would indicate otherwise. But who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have my doubts, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I probably would have killed her too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do I dare admit I have no idea what this post is about? Why yes I do live under a rock....But it's amazing I loved your post anyway!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't read this post yet. I just finished watching Season 1. Need to get my hands on Season 2 somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That last scene with him last night had us wondering...was he referring to his army days or to his wife?
    That said, he looks pretty hot as an inmate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in love with Mr. Bates...... but he does have a temper

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think he's innocent, but that first wife of his was definitely kill-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Common Household Mom. How can I be this far behind?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unfortunately, the more I watch Downtown Abbey, the more I am hit over the head that it's a simple soap opera like "Days of Our Lives," etc. which fly by the seat of their pants and have no clue where they are headed--just relying on the sensational to keep our attention. If I find out Bates really did kill his wife then I am no longer watching.

    ReplyDelete