Monday, March 10, 2014

Who Dat?

I finally understand what this is.
Well, it's happened.  Tonight I lost my Dr. Who virginity, as it were - after months of reading friends' Facebook posts about the Doctor and watching my knitting friends knitting Tardis mittens (true story) and generally feeling out of the loop, I finally got around to watching a 2005 episode on Netflix.

Yeah, I'm hooked.

You know, I grew up in the 70's and early 80's, when the word "geek" was a pejorative; so I still cannot get over how cool it is to be geeky and to like weird sci-fi shows.  I look at David (a true tech geek/science lover) and almost envy him.  I mean, if he wanted, he could actually be popular.  That option wouldn't have been open to him 35 years ago, that's for sure.

Progress, folks, we're making progress here.

On another pop culture note, I would just like to register my feeble shout of protest that "Let It Go" won Best Song at the Oscars this year.  It's a good song, but - for my money - "Happy" is better.  The performance at the Oscars blew me away, and most days I really just want to go live in this video:


I mean, really, LIVE in it.  Just me?

9 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Who Side! If I had to recommend two episodes that can stand alone for test out on new Dr Who viewers they would be "Blink" and "The Girl in the Fireplace." Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest got me into Doctor Who. He didn't mean to, but as he talked about it with his friends I became interested and starting watching it... then I texted him non-stop with question after question as I watched each episode. He now doesn't speak about anything interesting in front of me any longer.

    Yes, I agree with you about the songs. At first I was a "Let It Go" fan, until I listened to "Happy" a few dozen times. Now I wish that one had won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want it to play continuously in my house. Is that too much to ask?

      Delete
  3. I recently discovered my Who side and totally agree with you about the song Happy! So, we can DEFINITELY watch t.v. together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the Geek Club, honey.
    It's a cool club.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our household is still Dr. Who ignorant. But then, I'm a bad mom who hasn't shown her kids "The Princess Bride" (I'd like to blame my husband since he is the one who brings home library videos & DVDs).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the only person in the world who HATED The Princess Bride (I saw it when it came out). I keep telling myself that I have to rewatch it, but I never seem to get around to it.

      Delete
  6. I got a glimpse of the WHO in my daughter's room one day. Maybe some day when I can get the cartoon network off the living room TV...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am newly on the Dr. Who bandwagon as well. The campy feel reminds me a bit of Get Smart and I loved that show back in the day.

    ReplyDelete