Saturday, March 14, 2020

Yeah, I'm Talking About It

Hmmm, seems to me that the last time we chatted was several weeks ago, in that long ago time before civilization was teetering on the edge, before toilet paper became a valuable commodity, and before there was an inexplicable run on cold remedies.

WHY, PEOPLE, WHY?
Seriously, there's only so much ibuprofen you need to take. I know this, because I was sick for 2 weeks in February (you know, BEFORE it was newsworthy) with the most god-awful sore throat that had me pretty much pouring ibuprofen straight into my mouth from the bottle, and it still didn't run out.

Brian came home for spring break last Saturday, coughing. "It started as a cold," he said. "It's nothing." And then today - TODAY, 6 DAYS LATER - he says, "No, first I had a fever, come to think of it. A headache, then a fever."

So I guess we're all going to die now. I dunno. I just canceled on a friend's birthday outing for tomorrow, because I don't know whether or not I should be near people. I'm not even worried about getting this coronavirus myself, which is odd, considering my hypochondriacal tendencies. I mean, with that sore throat last month, I was waking up in the middle of the night, convinced I was dying of undiagnosed diphtheria. If I cut my finger and it gets at all infected, I assume gangrene. But a global pandemic? I'm good, no sweat.

I'm so sorry I'm talking about this - we're all so sick of this topic (no pun intended). And now schools are closed, homeschool classes canceled, I'm working full time from home, I can only assume Larry's work will close anytime now - I love my family, but that's a hell of a lot of togetherness, you know? I mean, we've got a good thing going here, but let's not push it.

I did try to stock up on food at the grocery store the other day. I came home with a lot of fresh produce and a few other items:

These looked useful, pandemically speaking

Apparently, I'm no better at preparing for a pandemic than I am at preparing for a blizzard. No surprise there, I guess.

But I've got plenty of yarn to see me through, so I'm set, right?

11 comments:

  1. Yarn is definitely important (for you... I've got quilting to do) but I am SHOCKED that you aren't on a hypochondriac bender right now.
    Speaking of which, I can't seem to get certain people in my life to understand the severity of this situation. Maybe we should be more worried? I can't do it all myself!
    Keep us posted on your family's health. This thing has been quietly working for months here. I'm worried about my DIL who has some serious asthma. Even a common cold gets to her lungs.😢

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once my trip got cancelled I went on a chocolate bender. Good for you getting the Hershey’s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All 6 kids are home for 6 weeks. I visited costco and my local grocery the last few days. Having college kids home was gonna impact my pantry. Now I think I should have stocked up on Mikes Hard Lemonade. My oldest goes to school in New Rochelle, NY. Highest concentration of the virus in the nation. We certainly did not quarantine him so only time will tell. I do not tend to be a worrying type, but maybe I should?

    Great to hear from you. I signed up for an online writing class. I have no sports to attend, so I SHOULD have no trouble getting my assignments completed BUT the house is hardly a place of peace and quiet to think at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate and yarn---definitely required!

    ReplyDelete
  5. NC just closed the schools for at least two weeks, my office sent an email about the possibility of closing the building. It's all starting to get a little scary. And? I just realized...there is no chocolate in this house and not enough wine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. chocolate is very important!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheesh, I've already eaten the chocolate I had on hand. I'll have to do some on-line grocery shopping I think.

    Stay well, and I hope your son simply has a nasty cold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so relieved that another person thought emergency supplies = chocolate. I bought so many bars *hangs head in shame*. But I’m sharing them. That makes it okay, right? Positively selfless, right?

    Love your blog. Always brightens my day. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. MORE YARN.

    It's calling you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm good on fabric and ordered a ton of sewing needles off of Amazon. I should have enough thread for awhile lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hoard all the yarns. I'm wondering, what would I hoard if I felt pressured? Perhaps books...

    ReplyDelete