Thursday, June 12, 2008

Blog Post Titles - Out of Stock

Lately my husband and I have a Tuesday lunch date. I meet him at a grocery store near his work and buy 2 sub sandwiches and we sit and eat and chat. (Anna or Theo babysits.) I know, too cute for words. But really, it's a way better idea than what we had been doing: trying to go out for an evening date after everyone was bathed and fed and tucked in. By that point we were so tired we would just sit and stare at each other and try not to yawn. Forget conversation, it was all I could do to keep my eyes open.

So, Larry and I have been meeting at lunch. Last week, being true to my frugal self, I ran into a different store (closer to my house) to pick up subs, because every Tuesday they have a special: any sub sandwich - $2.50. Not only could I manage to meet my husband while we are still awake enough to chat, but we also could have lunch for under 7 dollars (we split a soda and a bag of chips) (I know, some of you are definitely gagging from the cuteness by now).

Where was I? Oh, so I ran into this other store and walked up to the deli sandwich counter. There were 2 women being waited on and I was next. Cool! I wouldn't be late to meet my hubby. The deli worker gave me my sandwiches, and when I turned around to leave I noted that there was a line gazillion people long behind me. Whew! I thought. Good thing I got here right before the lunch rush began. I guess I'm not the only cheap-o in town.

Yes, I did think that. And, when I met my husband, I boasted how lucky I was to beat the crowds.

Okay. So, this past Tuesday, I made sure to get to the store by 11:30 again. As I approached the deli counter I realized I hadn't beat the rush this time. Oh, well. So I got in line. And while I was standing there I realized the awful truth. Last week? When I walked straight up to the counter? There was a line then, too. But I didn't notice it. And I guess everyone was too surprised by my apparent chutzpah to say anything to me like, "Hey! Wait your turn, you pushy broad!"

What kills me is that, really, the same trick should work again. But, now that I know I'm cheating, I don't have the guts to try it.

*************************************

The birthday? That went well. I made a cake and David insisted on decorating it himself. I knew there was a reason I like him so much. He decorated it with an icing rocket, and positioned red and yellow candles at the tail end to look like flames. Sort of. We gave him some presents - m&m's from Brian, and gummy bears from Rachel, and a Hershey bar from Susie (my kids have a thing about candy, I guess). A couple of SuperSoaker water guns from Theo and Anna (under duress), and a thing that makes shaved ice for snowcones when you turn the handle (well, you have to put ice in it first).

We're sort of boring here, I guess. Also, cheap.

We took David out for pizza for dinner; Larry called to say that he was running late, so the kids and I should just meet him at the restaurant at 6:45. Oh, yeah, riiight... Being that I am emotionally scarred by what happened last time he promised to meet us for pizza, I made sure to arrive more than 15 minutes late. And Larry arrived 15 minutes after that. So I didn't let him have any of my soda. Hey, I'm not a doormat. These boots are made for walking, you know...

And now that I've looked up this video, I just have to share it with you. Check out those backup dancers.


30 comments:

  1. You should put that video into your bag of Anna Antidotes. The next time she picks out an inappropriate outfit, watch it and tell yourself it could be worse.

    ---

    I can SOOOO see you cutting that entire line with a look of sheer oblivion (possibly interpreted as profound snobbery) on your face! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing about the cutting in line thing too. Classic! Did anyone recognize you from the other day?

    I think that sounds like a PARTY. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if anyone was their the week before and recognized you as the line breaker! That's a classic and something I would totally do (without knowing of course)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 12, 2008

    That's you in the yellow, isn't it? I knew it!!! You ARE super-famous!

    Oh I can just imagine you cutting in line at the deli. And your shame a week later. I've done that too and felt delayed embarrassment. Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been lurking for awhile, enjoying your blog, and this post is hilarious. I can so relate!

    Can't wait until my oldest is old enough to actually do something useful -- like babysit the others. And love the creative dating, even if it inspires heinous line-cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You didn't! Oh my. I would be too embarrassed to ever go back.
    You are lucky you didn't cut in front of me. I always say, politely, but firmly, "excuse me, I was here first!" THESE boots are made for a firm boot in the butt!
    Love the video! Hate the fact it is way too familiar. I am getting old. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, Bald Man and I found out a long time ago that early afternoon dates are the way to go. Everything is cheaper, movies and lunch AND the baby sitters were more likely to be free.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW - what CITY do you live in again? I think here, if someone had cut in line - there would have been a mass attack, lol! That is hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  9. memarie lane - you know, I had wondered that, too.

    ann - the lack of aggression was totally out of character for here, too.

    jane - "heinous" - I like that.

    kalynne - are you saying that I look naturally oblivious?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That line thing cracked me right up (as did all the candy bar presents - that's what my kids give each other, too!). And I'm the same way - could never cut again now that I knew I was cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm thinking if I would have been in the line you never would have made it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. jenn - you know, I believe that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for today's laugh. That video...it felt like a cross between Jane Fonda and a stripper work out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great idea abu tthe lunch date. My husband and I do the dinner date thing and we always sit across the table from each other, trying to keep our heads from falling into our bowls of soup as we are always tuckered out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousJune 12, 2008

    Girl, I'm about to show my age. The video is from the sixties and one of the dances the backups were doing was called the "Pony". Oh, my gracious. I'm laughing at myself. Margie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wonder if did that "boots" workout that those girls were doing if I would end up looking like that? No? Drat.

    Line cutting- even here in uber-polite Canada - would have gotten you at least yelled at oh by half a dozen of the people in line LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. AnonymousJune 12, 2008

    Good job you didn't try and jump the queue here - the queue is an institution!
    Funny though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your story about cutting in line. I've done things like that!

    And now I'm going to start letting my kids decorate their own cakes. You're an inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG The line cutting thing is the best I have heard in a long time. So funny. And yeah, the whole lunch this is totally too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  20. this year my 10 year old made his own birthday cake. and decorated it. it's the best when they start doing stuff like that. love your story about cutting in line. i've done stuff like that too. sometimes i am so unaware of what i'm doing...

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are my blogging hero! How on Earth do you keep up the pace and do all of the other things required of a Home Schooling Stay At Home Mom? Forget Blogging, you are my life hero! You should be at the front of the sandwich line!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wonder if you cut line every week if you'll be known as the crazy lady that cuts line (look here she comes! Isnt' she so cute in her delusional way?) or if they'll simply lynch you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good on ya. I love your date idea and stories!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the backup dancers, nice hotpants.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so funny, O Deli Line Jumper. Just keep doing it with great chutzpah, and you'll have more time to chat with the husband.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I loved the line jumping!!! I can just picture it...brain engaged on too many other things to notice the Million people waiting...Hey, I'm too cool to wait...
    David's cake sounds great...I loved the gifts...who is going to get super soaked???
    Blessings, E

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just keep thinking, "What would Frank say about that?"

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am still reeling from the idea of lunch for two people for under $7. Where can i get in on that action?

    ReplyDelete
  29. when we have kids birthdays in our family each kid (and sometimes a few of the adults) gets a super soaker or water baloons(in summer) or Nurf gun w/ laundry bag of (ball)ammo (in winter) to go out and have a war...gives the parents a break from the noise (to visit & drink sangria) and lets the kids burn off the sugar they have been eating before we send them home.

    ReplyDelete