Thursday, November 30, 2023

A Rather Anticlimactic Reveal


Random fall photo, why not?

For months, I have held a secret close to my (recently remodeled) chest, but I whiled away that time by devising with my writerly brain the best way to eventually tell you all about it. Bury the lead? Make fun of my age? Wonder at the passing of time? Or all of the above? 

Yeah, maybe that last one.

But then everything went sideways, and this blog was the last thing on my mind, as I was busy cooking food and taking it to the hospital for a couple of traumatized new parents. Plus? I had no energy to write, since it was taking all that energy to suppress any thought of how the heck could I comfort a grown child of mine through the unthinkable, if things continued going sideways.

But they didn't, the world (or my world, anyway) righted itself, thanks be to God: Theo and his wife (no blog name, STILL?) managed - after a harrowing 19 days - to bring home a (finally) bouncing baby girl, who has the sweetest voice and prettiest eyes and seems to harbor no ill will toward them for all the poking and prodding and other indignities she was subjected to during the first few weeks of her life.

I'm a grandmother, y'all. How the heck did that happen? 

No baby pics allowed here, so instead the blanket and hats I knit for her

Oddly enough, grandmother life feels largely like pre-grandmother life, so far, since the baby is too little to read Sandra Boynton books to or play at the park with; the most fun, instead, has been watching my own child turn into a dad who now walks around saying things like "I'm sure glad we have good insurance" and who spends all his spare time cooing at his baby and taking pictures to post on the family chat.

At some point the siblings are probably going to tell him to stop with the photos already, but not just yet - last month was too scary, so Theo gets a pass for now. FOR NOW.

A neighbor brought Larry and I a gift to celebrate our new status:

Subtle, right?

Whenever I see those mugs, I think, "What are those doing here in my house?" and then I remember. This whole thing is going to take some getting used to, folks...

And...Thanksgiving happened! Do I have photos of the entire family (minus Rachel, who went on a super-excellent girls weekend instead) gathered for the holiday? I DO NOT. Instead, mostly all I have are pictures of Brussels sprouts and pies and I think cranberry bread, because you know the first thing my grown grandchildren will say to their parents will be "Gosh, I hope we have pictures of baked goods to go in this family album I'm putting together for posterity." 

And yes, my precious (and mostly theoretical) descendants, you will - a camera roll full, it seems:

Good ol' Uncle Cranberry Bread, showed up for every Thanksgiving


Insides were disappointingly mushy, total fail, no one wants applesauce pie


This is actually an action shot, as I was cooking them at the time

And that was our Thanksgiving, with most of the kids arriving last minute (which made it more exciting but left the cooking primarily to me) and staying briefly, since they have their own lives and their own pets to get back to and all that. I took Thanksgiving Day off and let everyone else finish the cooking, so the arrangement really wasn't that bad, actually. But I've already planned takeout and cookies for Christmas, that's it, no muss no fuss. I'M DONE.




15 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You know Mom always said being a Grandma was way more fun ....sorry they had such a scary time of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. Being a grandparent is the best. Enjoy every minute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!!! What wonderful news!!!! You are going to have to add "and grandchildren" to your tagine.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll start with the really important stuff: the hats and blanket look wonderful! And the cranberry bread - care to share your recipe? Congratulations on the grandchild and becoming a grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! Congratulations! Congratulations to you and Theo and wife and all the family! I’m sorry about the harrowing start but so glad about the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! You sure know how to keep a secret. I'm glad things turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grandchildren are the best! They make the challenges of parenting totally worthwhile! Congratulations to you and your whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a grandmother!!! Wow. It's weird and lovely and everything in between. (And even though you didn't say much, I felt the weight of those few harrowing weeks. I'm so glad she's okay.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Huzzah!!! I'm sorry for the time of fear, yet I'm so very happy for you in your new status. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations all around! What an exciting time for you all; especially now that the scary part is over.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Faith RobertsDecember 02, 2023

    Congrats! So happy for you and for Theo and wife! Sorry it was such a scary start though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. CONGRATULATIONS! That's SO exciting! A huge life event! I'm glad everyone pulled through after a tough start and wishing you lots of snuggles over the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! I'm so glad Baby is OK now. Best wishes for a lovely time as a grandparent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on being a Grandma! It just gets better and better. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! Similar situation here as well.... but the baby came home healthier than evert and my brother in law is a great grandpa for the first time! Crazy.

    ReplyDelete