Sunday, June 18, 2023

Stayin' Alive

Still here! The boobectomy was last Thursday, and I finally have enough energy to sit down at the computer. Up until now, any energy I had was directed at taking meds, deciding on where to nap, and thanking people for bringing food.

I get weepy with gratitude whenever someone shows up at our door with yet another edible treat. I think anesthesia makes me maudlin. Or maybe it's the meds...

SO MANY MEDS

Also, I keep having weird dreams about what my chest might look like now, because there is no flippin' way I am actually peeking under these bandages until I have to. The 4 (FOUR!) drainage tubes are bad enough for a squeamish person like myself to deal with at this point. Luckily Larry -- one-armed Larry -- is in charge of emptying them and writing down how many cc's of liquid are in each one, and if we were still homeschooling, this would totally be science lab for the kids.

Oh, and just to make sure that things were chaotic enough last week, Rachel managed to have a pretty serious fender bender 2 days before the surgery. With our car. Luckily she's all right, but Tuesday was pretty stressful, what with filing insurance claims, finding where the car was towed to, etc. 

Maybe a little more than a fender bender


But hey, Rachel wasn't hurt and (Silver Lining Alert!) I didn't have as much time available to fret about the upcoming surgery. I said this to a friend, who promptly dubbed me "Pollyanna in Hell." She's not wrong.

And I am suddenly out of energy to sit up, so I am going to take myself to one of our napping couches and have yet another wee rest, delicate flower that I am...




11 comments:

  1. Definitely more than a dented fender, but in your defense, the car protected your daughter as it was designed to do. So, yay?
    You made me laugh with the reference to hands- on homeschooling science. I totally would have done that, too! And if being Pollyanna in Hell is keeping you sane, go for it! (Loved the cartoon.) Just remember that you are not your boobs or your drains. Happy napping and healing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pollyanna in Hell - LOL! Hey, whatever it takes to get through everything; of which you have a lot of right now. Rest and recover, that is your main focus right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 19, 2023

    Only you could write a post like this that could make me laugh with all that's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, look at that car, I'm so glad she's okay! And that you are recovering, too. Get lots of rest and take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have an excellent sense of humor for all that you have been thru.
    You are doing everything right, resting, and eating good food and letting others help you. It's hard to depend on others, (trust me) I know.
    But this too shall pass and than you can go back to helping others.
    It should be all downhill from here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're through with both surgeries! It's crazy how crises always happen at extremely inconvenient moments. Not that there's ever a convenient time for a crisis, but two days before a surgery is not great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no. An accident right before surgery? That's a lot. It sounds like you need those blinders kids wear when they are learning to dribble the bball without looking down. I know I would need to wear those . . . or to be knocked out. My squeamish issues would be on overload. Hope you are feeling better each day.

    Oh and the science experiment made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All you are going through, and you manage to make me laugh out loud! Pollyanna in Hell!

    Please take plenty of naps. Naps are good. And don't think of an elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rest. Eat your protein. Your sense of humor during these storm clouds is impressive stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a compression bandage hooked up to a suction pump when I left the hospital for my colon resection. Not the same at all, but man I felt like I was a science experiment. And I don't blame you at all for not looking. All that "stuff" is invasive enough. Yikes on the accident. Thankfully she's okay, but yeah... accident's are never convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousJuly 11, 2023

    I'm glad you're through with both surgeries! It's crazy how crises always happen at extremely inconvenient moments. Not that there's ever a convenient time for a crisis, but two days before a surgery is not great! https://selfsyo.com/54/Software-and-Hardware-FAQ-with-Answers-for-Kids

    ReplyDelete