Saturday, May 08, 2021

Mothers WEEKEND, Thank You Very Much

 Why stop at just one day, is what I'm saying...

(Accidental) Mother's Day tulips
Note the dish of strawberry candies on the table in the picture there. They automatically appear in your house once you're past a certain age. DESTINY, DESTINY, NO ESCAPING DESTINY...

I bought those tulips myself, I'll have you know. Whole Foods was having a good sale, so I grabbed these flowers, forgetting Mother's Day was coming and that Larry would be wanting to buy them for me. So I told the kids to just slap a "Happy Mother's Day" sign on the vase on Sunday and I'd be good.

Low maintenance, I am...

**********

When Larry and I returned from a postprandial perambulation on Wednesday evening, I spotted this sign on the kitchen light switch:


Confusing, right? What's a "wasp lid," I wondered? And why is this sign on the light switch? And who in my house has that handwriting that I don't even recognize?

So many questions, which were only partly answered when I swung my gaze from the switch to the ceiling (you know, where the lights are) and saw this:


Here, have a closer look, I sure did:


Ooookay, so a wasp apparently flew into the inset light in the ceiling and Brian decided to trap it there. That boy can think on his feet, that's for sure. "Don't worry," he said. "I Googled it, and it takes them 2 days to die, so we can remove that on Saturday morning."

"Oh, but don't turn the light on," Brian added. "It might melt the Pyrex lid." The WASP LID. Suddenly, everything made sense. Sort of.

We endured a dark-ish kitchen for a few days until the great unveiling this morning, executed by Larry and Brian. "Well?" I asked when I went downstairs for breakfast and saw the light was back to normal. "Was it dead?"

"Uh, we don't know," said Larry. "It wasn't there."

So, yeah, no idea what happened to the wasp. It probably crawled into the ceiling and is plotting its revenge. Nice.

**********

I referred to Brian as a "boy" up there, but he turned 21 last month and would probably not approve of that designation. Also, because he is against generating unneeded consumer waste, we were a little stymied as to how to celebrate his birthday (our usual style being a lot of wrapping paper and gift bags and silly cheap gifts). Susie turned to Pinterest and - working REALLY hard - generated decorations, wrapping, AND gifts out of mostly newspaper, paper bags, and glue.

The results? They were impressive:

Paper towel tube idea was mine, though


They're coasters, duh


Rosettes!

Of course, we've left all those rosettes hanging there, because hey, they were A LOT of work and Mother's Day is coming and then Susie's birthday and now that we're all so ecofriendly, why not recycle/reuse them, right? Recently, though, Brian was looking more closely at one of the rosettes and said, "Susie, did you use the OBITUARIES?"

Reader, she did. Turns out, we've been sitting around our house with pictures of dead people dangling from the ceiling of our living room and hey, if any of you need an experienced decorator for shivas or wakes, just let us know, okay?



8 comments:

  1. ""Susie, did you use the OBITUARIES?"
    Reader, she did. Turns out, we've been sitting around our house with pictures of dead people dangling from the ceiling of our living room and..." and how I howled when I got to this part. Happy Mother's Day/Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! Now the follow-up question is, did she do that deliberately or just because that was what was left of the newspaper. Good work on the recycling - it all looks very color-coordinated.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that your older daughter, the one of the decapitation tendancies, might have done this deliberately. Susie? Not so sure. Proud of her if she did :)

      Delete
  3. Love the obits! And sure, keep those decorations up. I still have a Valentine's helium balloon up---it refuses to die, so why not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it said, “Don’t melt the lamp lid” which made much more sense. I don’t have those strawberry candies in my house yet and I’m older than you are. Act your age!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lord. The Obits... great reason to celebrate another birthday, am I right?

    My Mum will tell you that everyday is Mother's Day.

    This year I didn't want them spending much. Oldest got me some red and white daffodil bulbs I wanted. Bonus Son got me tulips. Youngest completely forgot until we were all sitting around at his grandmother's having lobster. About an hour into being there, he transferred $ into my Venmo so the Hubs and I could go get a hotel room and have a night away. So nice, and completely unnecessary, and I can't help but wonder why he wants me out of the house....

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 2 day survival may be true. I captured a tick and decided I should put it in a baggie in case I started experiencing those symptoms the internet talks about. And I checked it the next morning - half a day - and it was alive. And I checked it the morning after that - a day and a half - and it was still alive. And I checked it the day after that - two and and half days - and it was nonresponsive.

    But a ceiling light is not a baggie, both in terms of air tightness and food storage. But I do salute your wisdom for respecting your offspring's choice of taping things to the ceiling. Building his confidence in small things may leading to his gaining confidence in larger things - like moving out (so he is not in taping things to the ceiling range).

    ReplyDelete