Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Waiting For Santa...

We each open one gift on Christmas Eve (and, yes, I know that's not what the holiday is all about, but we like presents, so chill, will ya?) and I opened the one that Rachel had picked out for me. It was a bright (very) red- and green-sequined change purse, and you could tell that she just knew I'd love it. Also, she put 36 cents in it, to sweeten the deal.

I think this gift will turn out to be my personal lifeline through Rachel's teen years. When she's 13 (and acting like Anna), its mere existence will remind me that, yes, at some point Rachel loved me enough to give me the world's most beautiful change purse, and all her worldly savings, to boot. Although I'm sure she'll catch me looking at it on a particular bad day and say, in a voice dripping with disgust, "Why do you keep that ugly old thing?"

That's okay, sweetie; we'll always have Christmas (2008).

9 comments:

  1. I remember the cross earrings with pink beads that I picked out with such love for my agnostic mom--they were beyootiful and she pretended to love them for the rest of her life.

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first Christmas in my own bed in 6 years, and that was only because I'd given birth that year and had a mama-milk monkey. We've usually gone to my husband's relatives in another state. MIL gives the kids their Christmas Pajamas on Christmas Eve. Now though, my older two don't wear pajamas, they just crawl in bed in whatever clothes they wore that day (or the previous one sometimes). And people thought I was both clever and insane for teaching them to do their own laundry by 2nd grade....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? We don't get to see a picture?

    Merry Christmas, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom possibly still has a rather ugly dish on her dresser, made in elementary school art class and badly glazed. Seeing it in use always made me feel loved.

    I have an atrocious and useless vase/pitcher on display in my dining room, because it was given by a child who thought it was beautiful. I can't get rid of it because I know it must make him feel loved that I display it.
    (Maybe it is actually worth something? Value Village thrift shop had a $10 price tag on it!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas to the entire SC family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww that is so sweet. Merry Christmas to the whole clan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, in the midst of all this Christmas cuteness, I have to say... The Boy got an arsenal of Nerf weapons for Christmas this year, and -- you guessed -- already shot me in the eye! "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" ;)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete