Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Comeuppance

 Glancing in the bathroom mirror this morning in a quixotic quest to espy some remnant of my erstwhile waistline, I sucked in my stomach and stretched my arms over my head.

This, my friends, was a mistake.  In that one instant, my entire lower back, from the non-existent waistline on down to the hips, caught fire.  Or felt like it.  I hobbled through the rest of my day, reminded not to bend by the searing pain I experienced if I even thought about reminding my spine that it should have movable parts.

The moral of this story being, Mirrors are dangerous.  Or, maybe, don't be such a vain middle-aged hag as to think you can make your waistline appear by sucking in your abs.  Ah, vanity, thy name is woman.

And, yes, I do appreciate the irony of this happening to me after I laughed at  my ailing spouse's similar infirmity not even 10 days ago.  No one needs to point it out to me.  Save yourselves the trouble.

[Image credit: Readers' Digest]

8 comments:

  1. Everytime I do something I knew I should not have done, I end up hurting somehow. Maybe I sould listen to that little voice in my head saying not to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt a familiar twinge when I bent over to wash my hands earlier today.

    No activity is safe anymore. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it's time to return to yoga class. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Erin - exactly what I was thinking all day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seized up while sneezing yesterday. Perhaps it is an alien plot?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow--who'd have thought vanity would leverage such a hefty fee. I tweak my back leaning in to pluck those stray hairs on my chin all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of my mother's story of how she got tennis elbow from trying to pull on a "shaper" swimsuit. Oh, the indignity!

    Feel better soon. Take drugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not just women. We didn't have a full-length mirror for years and then when we finally got one, my husband bent over to dry his feet and looked behind himself through his legs at the mirror and scared himself so bad he ripped his head open on the opposite wall. Well, it IS scary.

    ReplyDelete