Saturday, July 14, 2012

Who Needs Ipecac?

Brian informed me today that tomatoes make him throw up.  Thanks for sharing, buddy.

Ketchup's okay, though.

This lovely dish would make Brian barf.
I lost my head and bought 1/2 a bushel of peaches at the Farmers' Market this morning.  And, uh, 1/2 a bushel of tomatoes (which, as it turns out, make Brian throw up).  After coming to my senses and foisting half the tomatoes off on a neighbor,  I made a delicious uncooked tomato sauce for dinner tonight, consisting of chopped fresh tomatoes, olive oil, fresh basil leaves, and minced garlic.  I served it on a bed of child-friendly spaghetti, but I couldn't entice Brian to eat it (because...well, you know already).

Kids really can take the fun out of cooking.

Anyone need some tomatoes?


[Tomato sauce picture: theKitchn]


11 comments:

  1. We have a similar problem with zucchini. Someone hasn't tried it in 10 years because he swears it makes him vomit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my kids told me he was "black toast intolerant," which apparently meant that he couldn't eat any vegetables. The funny thing is, I have no tolerance for black toast either but vegetables don't seem to bother me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter what I make for dinner there's always one kid that accuses me of not loving them because I always fix food they don't like.
    Except for our 7 year old who doesn't like anything that isn't pepperoni pizza. He dosen't even like ice cream!
    I think your fresh tomato sauce over pasta sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kid up and announced at dinner tonight that he's (re)-converting to vegetarianism next week. I wish him well with that.

    Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm... peaches! And I'd be happy to take some of those tomatoes off your hands but they'd be in sad shape by the time they made it to my house.
    Maybe you could turn them into ketchup?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No one in our house but hubby likes tomatoes. I'm still not sure what I was thinking when I planted an entire package of seeds. I think I have 11 plants that survivesd the kids and dogs so far. They will soon have flowers on them. I may can a few or give them to the friend that I gave 7 dozen canning jars to when I straightened out my attic this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's my very favorite summer sauce--Pomodoro Fresco is what we call it. Our garden has been very generous with the tomatoes this summer. I also like to do a salad with tomato, avocado, purple onion and some olive oil, lemon juice and black pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a great peach pie recipe if you want it. Sorry about the tomatoes. I hope you like tomato sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last year I found the cure for too many tomatoes. Salsa! We can never have too much salsa and it uses a lot of tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will happily taken Brian's share of tomatoes. Throw in some peaches too and I'd be really happy. This sauce looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sauce sounds wonderful. And the peaches, too. Peach salsa on your horizon?

    ReplyDelete