Thursday, April 16, 2020

Still Hunkered Down - And You?

I don't even know where to start. One day blends into another, it's utterly insane. I'm working, which makes things seem semi-normal, but there are so many people around! Susie and I figured out the other day that it feels like we're on vacation (albeit a singularly boring one), because the whole family is together ALL THE TIME, and we're subconsciously waiting for the vacation to be over and for things to get back to normal.

But they never do.

All I want is for the house to be empty so I can nap on the couch. That's it - that's what I miss most.

Easter and Passover happened...

We've discussed in this space before how appliances know when you're under stress. I know they know, because that's when mine always break. Kids got stomach flu? Time for the washer to go on the blink! Sweaty, dirty Boy Scout Mulch Delivery weekend coming up? Whaddaya know, the water heater doesn't work! Houseguests on their way? Good-bye, dishwasher!

Let's see...the only time in our lives when it's become imperative to somewhat sterilize our eating utensils? That would be, uh, right now. So it wasn't even much of a shock when we came downstairs one morning last week to find our dishwasher full of water and out of power. That's just our fate, all right?

It was a little more of a shock when I called Best Buy and discovered that they had cancelled the appliance protection plan I had wisely bought along with that dishwasher 4 1/2 years ago. Turns out, once they've repaired it a bunch of times (THREE TIMES IN THREE YEARS), they cancel the plan.

Oh.

So Larry Googled and YouTubed and lay on the kitchen floor and tinkered with that thing (which, let's be honest, is sort of sexy, right?), but it was all to no avail. And let's face it, I do know how to wash dishes by hand. We've done it before, a LOT. So I pulled my adored Michael Graves dish rack out of the laundry room (because I had known better than to get rid of it) and I switched all the silverware to plastic (because pandemic) and I hugged a half-sobbing Susie and told her we had to be brave.

Larry, however, was not going to go gentle into that dark night of listening to me nagging everyone to wash their plates and to stop using so many knives, gosh darn it, and WHO LEFT THIS POT IN THE SINK? So he ordered a dishwasher.

I told you - SEXY. Both him and the new dishwasher...

THREE RACKS - it's glorious

Google Photos is doing its level best to make me feel awful about our cloistered situation by showing me pictures every morning from three years ago, when Susie and I took our epic train trip across the country. And all I can do is marvel at the fact that we rode on a train with dozens of other people and we traipsed all over San Francisco and Seattle in the middle of crowds of people and we didn't even think twice about how dangerous all that social contact could be.

Tell me, how could 4 short weeks (well, long weeks, really) have warped my brain this much?

Sea lions aren't very good at social distancing
We're still baking bread almost every day, because why not? Luckily, my recipe only requires 1/2 a teaspoon of yeast, but I was starting to run low and was thinking I'd have to grow my own soon if I couldn't find some. Which, really, I didn't want to do, because I'm too busy spraying disinfectant on everything and yelling at people to wash their hands.

But a small pretzel bakery in my town - that isn't selling a heck of a lot of pretzels right now, I guess - decided to sell its extra yeast (for a handsome profit, but oh well, I'm supporting a small business). So Larry and I walked over with our masks on and they handed us a Ziploc baggie with 3 oz of yeast that I had paid for ahead of time on Venmo, and it felt for all the world like some very illicit sort of deal.

But now I can keep making bread, which somehow makes me feel as though I am accomplishing something. And then I can keep slathering it with butter and shoving it in my mouth, which tricks me into thinking that all is right with the world.



It's a pretty cool trick, right?





13 comments:

  1. That bread looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well your theoey explains why our water heater broke 2 yrs ago when my nasty stomach bug wrapped up and I was dying for a shower. Yeah- icicle showers suck. I have 2 dishwashers and one has 3 racks. The bomb!

    I cannot believe that train trip was 3 yrs ago.

    I am still napping but I have to kick Eddie out of my room where he e-learns. It does feel like a vacation- like we went to the beach and the weather was so bad we had to remain indoors.

    Try not to get arrested for illicit yeast purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the dishwasher! I am craving that bread of yours, it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the yeast! I can't find any anywhere. I can buy bread though, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was like OMG your dishwasher? You just bought that. Huh 4 years went fast lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Larry! He knows his way into your heart. 3 racks?! Sounds like heaven! If the company had to come out three times in three years that's on them. They should have replaced the dishwasher when you called this time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THREE RACKS? I have some envy...
    Glad you got a yeast source. I think it's smart of these businesses to sell what they can if they're not going to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smart man that Larry! Glad you got a working dishwasher - with all the family home that would have been a lot of dishwashing. There is just my son and I here and we can make a lot of dishes in one day.

    As for hunkering down, it's day 30 something - I'm not certain exactly. I do know it's nearing the end of week 5 but only because I've been keeping track on my blog. :p

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Number one symptom of days blending into each other - you posted on a weekday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "how could 4 short weeks (well, long weeks, really)"

    In the French Revolution, they set up 30 day months with three 10 day weeks. No idea how long the weekend was for a ten day week. a three day weekend would seem to be proportional.

    You could also do a 5 day week with one weekend day. I think the sleep researchers would prefer this set up, because the current 2 day weekend messes up everyone's sleep cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you and your family are well, and thank goodness you were able to get a new dishwasher. I hope this one is more reliable than the old one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Appliances! They have a 6th sense.. and apparently 3 racks! (That's impressive!)
    Our vacuum cleaner died and we bought a new used version. It's different than our last one, of course, so I'm playing dumb and letting my husband use it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Number two symptom of days blending into each other - commented on successive days.

    ReplyDelete