Monday, June 12, 2023

Whoops!

Hey! Still here, finally feeling back to normal, yay, just took 7 weeks post-surgery to get to this point. Of course it didn't help that at 3 weeks post-op, pretty much the day after the surgeon told me I could start resuming some normal activities, Larry decided to throw himself over the handlebars of his bicycle and break his collarbone.

OH YES HE DID

So, instead of easing back into the daily grind, I was suddenly the only person in the house who could do dishes, carry laundry (or at least drag it in a bag down the stairs), tie shoelaces (yes, it feels odd to be tying a pair of size 13 shoes for someone), and pretty much ANYTHING else you can imagine. Poor Larry's job was to hold his arm as still as possible in a sling for 2 weeks so he wouldn't make it worse and need surgery.

I'll tell you, it felt as if we had gone from two reasonably fit and capable middle-aged people to a couple of doddering senior citizens in what felt like a weird sort of science fiction time jump. And our grown kids got an all-too-clear picture of what would happen in another decade or two if they let us age in place in this house. I expect them to start taking us on tours of senior living communities any time now.

Anywhoo, Larry did a great job of holding his arm still, and he has mended enough that he can do dishes sloooowly and carry laundry in his left hand and manage to get it in the washer, so I am sure we will be JUST FINE when I have surgery again this week.

Yeah, that came up fast, didn't it?

But first Brian graduated from college (I got to drive while Larry sat grimacing in the passenger seat, trying not to be in pain), and then we had a family graduation party (exhausting) and then there was Susie's birthday but she got COVID so we postponed the party until last Saturday, which was the same day Larry managed to drive back down to Brian's college town so Brian could load up the car by himself with all his worldly possessions and then Larry managed to drive all the way back up, but guys? A broken collarbone, even one on the mend, is just exhausting and painful, and I sure as heck hope I never have to go through that myself.

We've managed to be festive, despite setbacks, we're so brave

SO FESTIVE

This would be the summer that we have 3 grown kids moving house, just when Larry cannot lift a single thing. Theo and his wife (SHE NEEDS A BLOG NAME, I KNOW) moved Brian to Philadelphia for us last weekend; Anna is rounding up her own crew of friends to move to Philly in July (look, that city is affordable, unlike most of the other ones around here); and luckily, Rachel will have her boyfriend and Theo and David (who will just happen to be visiting at that time) to help her move to her new place locally while I'm still laid up from surgery.

It's just...a lot, okay? I'm tired just thinking about it.

 Susie departed for a summer Americorps program today, leaving Larry and I to our decrepit selves as empty nesters for 10 weeks. Will we have fun? NO. He'll be washing dishes sloooowly and left-handedly doing the laundry, and I will be recovering from surgery and trying to get used to having no boobs and I guess doing whatever post-op PT they tell me to do. 

Oh, we had such plans! Even though we knew I'd be recuperating, Larry had joined a local paddlers association and was going to be out and about on weekends kayaking through the local waters; and then, at the end of the summer, we were going to head up to Acadia with the kayak on top of the camper van again, like last year, and he was going to paddle around up there while I would sit in peaceful solitude and knit.

Somehow, we don't think Larry will be up to lifting a 50-lb kayak over his head at the end of August, even if - as David suggested - he did want to paddle left-handedly in a circle.

David cracks me up sometimes.

I guess biking might be out, also.

This will most emphatically NOT be happening this year

So, yeah, the best-laid plans and all that, I know...at this point we just hope not to become any more decrepit, we're not asking for much, right?



13 comments:

  1. Oh, my... you two are going through the wringer! Babies flying away and leaving you with an empty nest while you have tender bodies and broken wings. It seems unfair that it's all happening at once. Be sure to accept those offers of help from friend and neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how disappointing! And soooo much chaos! It'll make for great stories --- at least there's that. Good luck with the next surgery --- and happing knitting your way back to health! (ooo, a pun!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Well, I'm glad he's at least somewhat able to do things in time for your second surgery, but what a year you're having!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy crow - that...that is A LOT all at once! When it rains, it pours - so they say. Here's hoping for some clear skies in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! That's a lot of not so great things going on all at once. I hope you both heal quickly and in time to do some fun things before summer is over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man big hugs!! My husband broke his collar bone and sternum in a car accident once. That was fun. Recently it was 3 ribs when he dumped his motorcycle. You know what they do when you break your ribs? Nothing. So crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, if you're lucky, they give you some tape. And then you're all, "I paid a copay for tape?!?" I mean, we have tape AT HOME

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness. This is a lot. I laughed that you guys will be touring the retirement centers soon. The photo of the camper made me sad. Of course this happened when you have SO much going on.

    Coach broke his ribs on Sunday. I read Julie's comment and she's right. They do nothing for that. He's a physical therapist, so he knew that. Is he still seeing patients? Yes, he is. He's usually very hands on, but he's trying out a bit of an independent treatment thing right now.

    Best of luck with the surgery. I hope you both heal quickly with no issues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJune 15, 2023

    I just came back from a meeting where the 72 year old guest speaker mentioned she and a girlfriend tour independent living places… for fun. They want to know their options when the time comes.
    I’m glad to hear you’re healing and hope Larry continues to make progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the next surgery goes as smoothly as possible! Weren’t we just 15?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's some TERRIBLE timing. Doesn't Larry respect your right to heal while HE takes over? Sheesh! And refilling your house in the middle of all of those injuries! Seriously, I hope you both heal quickly and without further incident.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there, SuburbanCorrespondent! I just finished reading your latest post, "Whoops," and I couldn't resist leaving a comment. First off, I want to say that your storytelling skills are on point. I was instantly drawn into your world as you described the chaotic but relatable mishaps of your day. It's refreshing to read a blog that's not afraid to keep it real and share the ups and downs of everyday life. Your sense of humor and wit shine through, and it made me chuckle a few times. We all have those "whoops" moments, and your ability to turn them into entertaining tales is a true talent.

    I also love how you effortlessly weave in those life lessons. Your reflections on the importance of embracing the chaos and finding joy in the small things really resonated with me. It's a beautiful reminder that life isn't about perfection, but about making the most of what we have. Thanks for sharing your experiences and insights; they brought a smile to my face and made my day a little brighter. Keep up the fantastic work, and I'll be eagerly awaiting your next "whoops" adventure! 😄
    certifiedtranslationservicesusa

    ReplyDelete