Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Problems

1. You would think, knowing how helpful knitters generally are, that someone, upon reading this post a couple of weeks ago, would have e-mailed me posthaste to warn me that, if I'm switching needles midway through a pair of socks, I might want to recheck my gauge on the new needles. But no, I heard nary a warning; so I've been happily knitting away to make a mate for the perfectly sized sock, the sock of my dreams, that I created on those accursed bamboo needles, enjoying the relative ease with which my new metal DPN's slide through my knitted loops, without even suspecting that I was careening toward a knitting disaster.

In short, the second sock is appreciably narrower than the first. I could leave it as is; but then every time I would wear it, I would be reminded, by the discomfort in my left foot, that a mistake had been made. Here I was fantasizing that I could become one of those knitters who actually manages to produce more than one item per year. Alas, that was all it was - a fantasy.

2. Last night, after approximately half an hour spent figuring out a)which photos are already in my Snapfish shopping cart, b)which photos have been edited but not placed in my cart, and c)which photos have been both edited and already purchased as prints - after all of that, I determined a devastating fact: I have not, in fact, edited a single photo from 2008. None. I remember editing a lot of photos somewhere in the first part of the year; but those photos were, in fact, from 2007. But only the last 4 months of 2007. I have no idea what is going on with the first 8 months there, either.

3. The trip today to my local library was once again humiliating. I picture them someday just snapping handcuffs on me in front of the children. No, I don't want to talk about it. But, damn, those fines add up fast.

I have to go now, to edit approximately 2800 photos (I am not indulging in hyperbole here) and to pull apart the sock I just about finished tonight. And, no, I didn't get around to calling the doctor, all right? I had a carpool to drive, and a library visit to make, and a sock to finish (sob). Tomorrow, though. There's always tomorrow.



Whew! Now I can't get that song out of my head. Nor the picture of the multiple Dutch Annies. That was too weird, don't you think?

31 comments:

  1. WAIT. We're supposed to edit our photos?

    CRAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, unless you like leaving the kid who is picking his nose in the picture...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have 18 (or is it 21) rolls of film to be developed. One of them is a 110 roll from when I was in high school. Just to give a clue how long that's been....my oldest is in high school, and I'd bet it's a roll of his pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh lord, #2 makes me queasy. I have not uploaded to my Shutterfly album since June of 2007. Which also means I haven't ordered any prints since then either.

    I don't even want to think about the box of prints still waiting to make it into an album. Or three.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    Just de-lurking :) Dawn at Because I said son posted a link for you on Sunday about www.libraryelf.com. Apparently this can help you return your books in time :)

    Cheers Eva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Argh! The knitting thing. I can feel your pain. I've made similar mistakes. Hey, I knit those kind socks too with almost identical yarn! And I prefer the metal needles over the wooden ones I had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to think that the library loves you immensely. I mean, without you, they couldn't have funded the new books for the year, or the private parties for employees becaues the Correspondent Family borrows here. They'd hang a plaque in your honor but that would be too obvious. And leave less money for the donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Multiple Dutch Annies. Oye. As Miz Scarlett used to say, "I'll worry about that tomorrow."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, socks knit up fast. At least it wasn't a sweater. Just think of this as a knitting lesson that won't repeat. We can only hope our children learn from their mistakes as easily and painlessly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I clicked on the play button and so I am responsible for THAT song playing and playing and playing and playing..............in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm,I'm usually cringing because tomorrow is coming too fast!

    Do you think any of the Annie's have naturally red hair? I think the Italian Annie looked the strangest. You could tell she definitely had a dark complexion that just didn't jive with the red hair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um... at the risk of sounding completely stupid (and showcasing my complete parental negligence...) what exactly is "editing" a picture...? Uy. I'm afraid to post this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I take extra photos so I can scrapbook more...but I am currently working on 6 years ago!! and haven't put in any new ones after November 2005. Eventually I'll need to print them out and deal with them. I stopped printing early because I'd end up with 3 copies of each and none of others. As long as my computer doesn't crash, I'm okay. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Editing is 2 parts: deleting all the crappy ones (roughly 2/3) and then cropping out the kids who look weird (or weirder than usual) (or just plain gross because they have buggers hanging out of their noses) from the "good" ones.

    Oh, and definitely getting rid of all the pictures where I am either caught from behind in a bathing suit (Gaaah! My eyes!) or from the side with my chin and jowls hanging down to my shoulders. That's important.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tried to knit once and it was very hard. I gave up after 3 hrs. So that sucks about your sock. Maybe you could turn it into a barbie outfit of some sort.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am assuming you got my ribbet comment, but I realized other people might not.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where do you find these videos? Holy Hannah!

    Sorry about your luck - the sock, your impending death and all those photos that will never be seen meaning that when you die your family will lose a year in their life.

    Oops, I'm not helping am I?

    Yeah, it'll all be better tomorrow. Buttcha gotta hang on til tomorrooooooow, come what may! (Good luck because you could die in the night.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Library fines are for a good cause.

    And, hmm, about those bamboo needles. I've liked mine. Though, I'm a very intermittent knitter, so they've not had the chance to splinter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Our library automatically emails us a few days before our books are due.
    Then again the day that they are due.
    And a few days later.

    We still can't seem to get them returned on time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok, don't know anything about knitting but I had to watch the Annie video. I loved Annie as a little girl, she made me want to be an orphan, LOL, maybe it was because I was from a disfunctional family. Haha! Love your blog, another Mom with lots of kids! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That would be why I gave up knitting when I had kids. It was one or the other. Not both.

    I love your optimism--you'll get those photos done! Stick out your chin and grin:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow...I have so much admiration for you actually sticking with knitting an actual proper garment.I on the other hand ONLY crochet blankets.A wide variety of blankets I hasten to add....with lots of different colours I hasten to add ....BUT....ONLY....SQUARE OR RECTANGLE THINGS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i tried knitting and decided that i was to stupid to figure it out! i have taken up crocheting, but that is turning out not so great either!

    Good luck editing the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wish I knew how to knit! I would have told you about the needle thing if I would have known. :(

    Oh well, you coudl make the matchign sock and then make another sock with smaller needles, couldn't you? Or is that like poking your eyes out with the knitting needles? :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. Our library finally got online. I can check my account and renew books with just a click. It is wonderful! I always was losing track of when the books were due...and then the fines added up *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello, my name is Kelly, and I last ordered prints in July 2005.

    And you EDIT them?!? Holy cow, woman. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have this vision of a one socked mom, walking into the library, with an eye twitch. Offering them 9 day old salsa in hopes of staving off those late fees.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Do I need to come over there and show you how to get sign up to get our library to email you BEFORE your books are due (and they'll even email you a few days later to remind you they're overdue, not that I'd know anything about that)?

    ReplyDelete
  29. What is with all those Dutch Annies? WHY?

    and doesn't that sound like an apple dessert? Dutch Annies. Yummy with vanilla ice-cream, ja.

    ReplyDelete