Sunday, July 11, 2010

Losing My Cool

The other day at Target I bought a long-coveted cooler on wheels to use at the pool. For 3 years, I've been looking to find this type of item on sale; and I realized on Friday that, if I weren't so cheap, I could have been enjoying this particular piece of equipment for 3 summers already. So I slapped down my 40 bucks and wheeled it home.

Oh, I was so excited! No more would the children fuss and fight over who had to carry the heavy cooler bag from the car to the pool. No longer would I have to adjudicate over who carried it last, and for how long. Life as I knew it would be simpler, happier, more care-free - all because of this remarkable invention.

I guess you other moms know what happened, right? All the way to the pool, I listened to 3 children argue over who would get to pull the amazingly fun cooler-which-rolls. I endured lengthy discussions over who had gotten to take it from the house to the car, and who had received the honor of pulling it through the entire store on the way to the register. I almost wept along as Brian sobbed that he always had to carry the heavy cooler bag and now he would be stuck with the equally heavy bag of towels if he weren't afforded the privilege of pulling the new cooler.

I don't even remember who won. But my head still hurts from where I was banging it on the steering wheel.

14 comments:

  1. That thing is totally awesome though. How about who ever keeps their room the cleanest or does the most extra chores around the house gets to roll the awesome new cooler-bag-which-rolls at the pool. Which would probably mean that you would get to roll the awesome new cooler-bag-which-rolls at the pool. You=big winner either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha.

    (That's all I can manage this late. But oh, I relate!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an absolutely classic parenting story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am surprised that this turn of events surprised you. I guess you must be an optimist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I found a new microphone for my karoke machine for my classroom (weird I know), the students fought over it all the time. Of course, they would pull on it too, which is how the first one broke two years ago.
    I wanted to tie them up with it but because there are laws against that, I chose not to.
    :)
    Your post makes me laugh...have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJuly 12, 2010

    Oh man! It's like my gig, teaching first grade, only for you it NEVER ENDS. At least I get to go home every evening. And I get all summer alone with my dog. I feel your pain. Wait, when school starts, you get to send them all to me ALL DAY, EVERY DAY except weekends...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your pain. lol! Could you try writing everything on pieces of paper, and everybody picks a paper, and that is what they have to carry. I also like the first commenters idea!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. RIGHT????? If they're not fighting about who has to carry something, it's who gets to carry something. If it's not who has to vacuum, it's who gets to. AAAAAAAAAAAAAACK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJuly 12, 2010

    Hahahahahaha! Oh yes! Mine are just like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spot on. Thanks for the laugh--I needed it on a day filled with similar things here with my kids that haven't made me laugh but have rather made me bald from pulling out my own hair.

    Signed, bald-headed and laughing in California

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe I need to get myself one of those coolers...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, but on the bright side, at least you bought one while your kids were still at home. I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wheels have been around for thousands of years. Why did it take so darn long for them to get the idea to put them under coolers?

    Come over to The Jason Show and help me fight cancer today. I'll show you my bare chest if you do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my life in a blog post. Love it.

    ReplyDelete