Saturday, July 03, 2010

Not-So-Glorious 4th

We had grand plans for our 3-day weekend - a BBQ with friends, camping with the kids (Larry, not me - my plan involved staying home with the indoor plumbing and the a/c), maybe a free Saturday evening live concert, and of course those glorious Independence Day fireworks! We didn't even know how we were going to squeeze it all to fit into 3 measly days.

But, hey - why do all that when everyone could just start coming down with assorted ailments instead? Susie is recuperating from a mysterious 4-day fever/headache that I am sure the rest of us are incubating, Theo and Brian are suffering a vicious head cold/sore throat combo which makes me want to buy myself a hazmat suit, and now Larry seems to be coming down with something or other. Naturally, our friends are refusing to visit, my chances of a day off while Larry and the kids go camping are fading fast, and I'm spending my time chugging orange juice in a desperate attempt to render myself immune to any and all incipient viruses and infections.

Oh, well, there's always Labor Day, right?


[Image credit: Pediaplace.com]

8 comments:

  1. I think you might have to wait a lot longer than Labor Day for a break--I'm thinking Empty Nest time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Fourth and conquer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I. so. sorry. Ugh. Sick kids at home and a long holiday weekend. Sounds almost like Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But hark! Is that a hand-knitted muffler that poor sick giraffe is sporting? Why not grab a spare set of DP needles and use them to fend off any germs that get within range?

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJuly 04, 2010

    Stay well. Wash those hands! Take Emergen-c too. That always helps me. Ooo, and the netipot. Washes all the germs away!! Happy fourth anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heartily symapthize. We were suppose to camping with friends (trailer, no tents for us wimps!). Friday morning, our truck (which is the only car we have that can pull the trailer) disgorged all of its brake fluid in a parking lot. Happily, we were not on the road with the trailer when it happened. But it's in the shop and we are unexpectedly home for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJuly 05, 2010

    How disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJuly 05, 2010

    Ugh. I was groaning in your honor as soon as I saw the sick giraffe picture.
    I've told my body that it can't be sick until July 17th (AFTER the houseguests for the past month leave and scout camp and VBS are over and done).

    ReplyDelete