Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Wherein I Feel Like A Poor Excuse For A Human Being

I escaped to the bookstore to do my editing this evening. I say "escaped," because Susie was in full whine mode as I walked out the door. "Good luck with that," I told Larry. I'm heartless.

So there was a kid right near me in dinosaur pj's whining. Loudly. At 8 PM in the bookstore. Didn't I come here to get away from all that? My normally compassionate-to-other-mothers self allowed me to give one brief glare in his general direction. A glare his mother saw. "Good," I thought. "Maybe she'll shut him up. What is she, deaf?"

Well, yes, actually - she was. Maybe the hearing aid and the ASL should have tipped me off sooner. Somebody smack me, will ya?

9 comments:

  1. Oh, bless you for that. If you hadn't done it, I would have someday. Thanks for taking bullet for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has got me wondering--was he also whining in sign for her?

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 06, 2010

    Hahah! Oops! Although I'm sure she still knew he was being loud. She can see his body right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once, while standing in a long line at BJ's during water rationing, some people tried to drive through the line to park close to the building. I yelled and waved my arms. They, I realized a short time later, had a handicapped placard aand were trying to pull in to a handicapped spot. So there you go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJuly 07, 2010

    Ooooh. I HATE those moments. They totally rob one of self-righteous indignation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One doofus moment like that begets many kind ones to come over a lifetime. Ask me how I know. We're all human.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate when you try to escape whining children and find them anyway. But my big question is always: it's late! Your kid needs to go to bed! Do you think it would be inappropriate to relay this verbally?

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJuly 07, 2010

    Sorry, but you have to stand behind me in that line. Lucky for me, misery loves company.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One time when I was 9 months pregnant, I escaped to the bookstore to get a break from my 3-year-old and 18-month-old. As I sat sipping my chai latte and reading flower arranging magazines, an unattended boy sat at my table and proceeded to spill my latte everywhere.

    ReplyDelete