Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Larry's Really Fun Life

We're having an appliance mutiny of sorts, here.  Early last week, as documented in these pages, our dishwasher caught fire, and then this past weekend, the clothes dryer joined in on the pyrotechnic fun.  Luckily, we smelled the smoke from where we were sitting in the living room and managed to turn it off before the house burned down.

So Larry got to spend his day off on Monday taking apart the dryer and the long pipe leading to the outside vent and declogging everything of lint.  This is one of his favorite tasks, second only to cleaning piles of bat guano from between the walls. He stopped his labors long enough to drive Theo back to the airport and then - for some reason - decided to go to his office.  Probably to get some rest.

So the dryer worked all of one day, but now it has no hot air.  Something is either wrong with the circuit board or else Larry managed to knock the moisture sensor loose while he was cleaning the lint out from around the drum. Hey, I can Google with the best of them, you know.

Larry was very happy to hear this news from me when he walked in the door this evening.  Who needs to sit and relax after a hard day's work when you can dismantle your clothes dryer again instead?

All I know is that Auntie Kate is planning to come and stay with us, starting on Sunday, and I would really like things to be operational again by then.  I don't think she would enjoy hauling her wet laundry to our neighbors' houses, the way I have been doing all day. She might even refuse to sew curtains for Susie's new room until we provide her with the proper amenities.

But, hey, we do have a working dishwasher! Unlike the last time our dishwasher died, we had some money available to get a replacement, which I bought before I even went to bed last Wednesday. You know, I don't understand how Larry manages to sleep knowing that I can spend hundreds of dollars online while he is upstairs snoring away.

Wives...we'll spend whatever you make...


Our bouncing baby dishwasher! Prettiest thing I've ever seen...

Anyway, it arrived Monday afternoon, right after Theo left (because, hey, who needs a dishwasher while you have a houseguest and are cooking up a storm?). I immediately posted its baby picture on this blog's Facebook page, where everyone is busy taking guesses on how long it will last in our appliance-killing household.  Feel free to join in.

6 comments:

  1. Not the clothes dryer too! *sigh* Sometimes I think our appliances are out to get us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be the heating element. We've replaced our, still ticking.....
    Once it was a grasshopper who clogged up the works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awful luck. I hope you get them all sorted out before company arrives. What could go third? Let's hope it's a cheap thing, like a toaster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a dryer repairman come out and tell me that dryer sheets leave residue on the lint in your lint trap that can CATCH ON FIRE. Like seriously? One of my favorite smelly things can kill me? Life is cruel. Enjoy your beautiful new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What the heck!
    I certainly hope nothing else catches on fire!
    "Bouncing baby dishwasher"...adorable! ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  6. What the heck!
    I certainly hope nothing else catches on fire!
    "Bouncing baby dishwasher"...adorable! ☺️

    ReplyDelete