Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Same Time Next Year

That stomach flu was NOT a pleasant experience. Plus, it was sneaky. I was sick Friday and Saturday, felt much better Sunday, buzzed around cleaning the house and cooking a real dinner for my family (which had been subsisting on pizza) and even ate said dinner. I felt fine! I was cured!

Until I woke up sick again at 5 AM Monday morning. You know how being ill can give you nightmares? I woke up nauseated and panicky, convinced that David was in dire straights at college. I spent all of Monday lying on the couch and frantically texting him and asking if everything was okay. I was convinced my motherly instincts had sensed a problem, 3 whole states away.

Luckily, I was wrong. Or, at least, David says I was wrong.

Anyway, here it is Wednesday, and my insides seem to be working normally again, and it is GORGEOUS outside, with the cherry blossoms and the magnolia blossoms and what all, and David continues to claim he is JUST FINE, ALREADY. My life would be perfect right now, actually, if it weren't for the fact that Boy Scout Mulch Weekend once again looms before us. That's right, for the third year in a row, Larry and I are performing the marriage-defying act of working together on Brian's Scout troop's main fundraiser of the year.

Our conjugal union is most emphatically not cut out for this sort of thing, people.

Next year? I will be able to enjoy scenes like this.
But this - this is the last year I have to endure such torture. THIS year, I am training someone to take my place, so NEXT year, I can leave town for a knitting retreat or whatever else I want to do during Mulch Weekend. NEXT year, I can enjoy the month of March again, with its daffodils and forsythia and warm-ish spring breezes. NEXT year, I will not have to spend the month of March walking around with a sense of impending doom hovering over me. Best of all, NEXT year, you won't have to hear me complain about all this yet again.

NEXT YEAR WILL BE WONDERFUL.





8 comments:

  1. Isn't Brian too young to age out of scouts by next year? I thought he was the same age as my own scout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you are still fighting illness. This appears to be a particularly long-lasting flu bug. My teenager continues to drag, as does my husband. I fear for my health simply because I live with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you and your family stay well. This illness made the rounds at my mom & aunt's retirement home, and my brother caught it while he was visiting them. So much for a visit. He said it was the sickest he has been in a long, long time.

    So I am wishing wellness to you. And a mulchless spring next year. Well, maybe not mulchless, but much less mulch. To have mulch hanging over one's head sounds quite difficult and messy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oof, the flu can really wipe a person out. Hope you are 100% now.
    And enjoy your final mulch season. I know what you mean about that, we have one more year of an obligation before our child ages out of a program and I've already got all my extra spare time planned out for pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait. Wasn't the mulch sale like 3 or 4 weekends ago?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It appears there is an mini-epidemic of a stomach bug going around. Just today, my co-worker informed me that in the space of about 2 hours over a 100 students at her daughter's school went home due the bug.

    Hope you've finally kicked the bug to the curb. And that my friend's daughter doesn't infect her and that she doesn't bring it to work to infect the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're feeling better. I'm loving all the Springy things I'm seeing as I drive and walk around too. We inherited some rose bushes at the house we're renting and my goal is to get the aphids off and hopefully have some pretty blooms to put around the house. Hope I don't kill them. Not known for my green thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son was a boy scout and his troop sold Christmas wreaths. I had never heard of a mulch fundraiser. WTF???

    Wow, I really dodged a bullet!

    ReplyDelete