Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Cooking, Plumbing, Fashion - All Right Here

Oh, dear - outrage levels are running high. Look at the comment I received today on this very old post, from someone who apparently doesn't recognize pretty heavy-handed sarcasm. One would think we have enough to be outraged about RIGHT NOW not to have to go looking back at something I wrote in 2010. Or maybe we are all just permanently outraged about everything by this time. I blame the Internet.

How I decorate
I spent my evening cutting large baguettes into tiny cubes. That's what we do around here on Thanksgiving Eve Eve Eve. Or, hey, Thanksgiving Eve Cubed! Get it? Cubed! Oh, my gosh, I slay me.

Anyway, that particular task has to be done by Monday so the bread cubes have time to dry out enough to soak up all the other stuffing ingredients without getting soggy. So now they'll sit around in pans on my dining room table for 2 days, annoying the heck out of me. Thanksgiving prep is fun.

At least I don't have to make the pies - I can buy those from Harris Teeter. For that, I am thankful.

My toilet woke me up 4 times last night by half-flushing itself LOUDLY. We would call a plumber, but we don't want to spend money on a toilet that we are replacing in January when the entire bathroom gets remodeled. This is such a stupid problem, but it is driving me crazy. If I turn the toilet valve off at night, will that keep it from flushing? Anyone?

Today was noteworthy in that I finally managed to find winter coats for Susie and Brian. I still need one for Rachel, if I can ever find time to take her to the store. If everyone could just stop growing for a bit, my wallet would surely appreciate it. And if someone could make a coat that fits a round-ish middle-aged woman without making her look EVEN ROUNDER, I would be forever grateful. I swear, I try on all these coats and they all make me feel like a chubby 4-year-old stuffed into a snowsuit.

Yeah, I have issues - what of it?


13 comments:

  1. Crazy that someone would comment on a six-year-old post without looking for context. Possibly stranger yet that I hadn't commented!
    Aside from that, I'm hugely impressed that you make stuffing from scratch. My mom did but my own family doesn't care. I'll make up for it with pies.
    One way to solve the coat issue is to not wear one. It helps fight hot flashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Originally we had to make our own stuffing, due to my oldest's food allergy. Then it just turned into a bad habit. Harris Teeter makes fruit pies with no milk or egg in them, though, which helps out on that end.

      Delete
  2. Yes, turning off the valve will stop the toilet from flushing. As for the coat problem...sorry. Can't help you. Until they make coats that make part of our body invisible, we're stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I blame the internet for lots of things, but spend too much time there anyway. Good luck on the bathroom remodel. We have one in our future too. As you say: fun times. We just had can lighting installed in the kitchen replacing an ugly 80's fluorescent fixture. The electrician doesn't paint or fix drywall and it's been way more difficult to find a painter than I had expected. So things here are a mess---good thing I'm not hosting Thanksgiving.

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could just replace the flapper in the toilet tank and see if that would help. It is easy enough and not an expensive part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flapper - will check that out. We just have to coax this one along (a very old model that uses approximately 20 trillion gallons per flush) until January.

      Delete
  5. Turning water off is easiest fix, since toilet will be replaced soon. Those new water saving toilets are a pain. Our plumber replace the flush assembly with one that flushes twice, as we had to flush twice anyways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When did you get yours? I know the earlier generations were a pain, but the ones my friends have now seem to work really well. And so quiet!

      Delete
  6. Okay, that is truly bizarre. She must have been lost and just stumbled across it by accident. Your answer was sublime!

    And you and I need to have a talk about blogging! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and yes, turn off the valve at night. Your water bill will thank you. Replacing the innards would work, but takes about 45 minutes and a trip to HD.

      Delete
  7. Haters --UGH! Enough with them!
    Turn off the valve. Then you just turn on in the AM.
    Love your "cubin'" humor--hope your day is swell and the feast sublime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Thanksgiving Eve CUBED!!! I love it!

    We call the day before the eve Adam. So yesterday was Thanksgiving Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a toilet like that several years ago. My husband tried to fix it, but it just kept acting up. It didn't seem to cause any harm except for its many funny sounds. He eventually put in new parts, which fixed things. It seemed pretty simple after the fact, for sure.

    Velma Moore @ James Rowe Plumber

    ReplyDelete