Sunday, December 08, 2013

Crantastic

Today Rachel handed flyers out around the neighborhood, offering to bake cranberry bread/muffins for a reasonable price.  "Leave your holiday baking to me!" the flyer exhorts her hapless victims. 

"What if too many people order?" asked Larry, with some concern, after she left.

"Oh, no, that won't happen," I said.  "We did this last year - a few people ordered a few loaves and a couple of dozen muffins, and it was spread out over a 2-week period.  She made some money for Christmas, and everyone was happy."  And then I went blithely on with my day, secure in the knowledge that most people aren't interested in ordering homemade baked goods from an 11-year-old.

We all know how this ends, right?

Rachel went to sleep with dollar signs in her eyes tonight, leaving me to sit up and marvel at how easily my plans for the week had been torpedoed.  Because tomorrow I need to help Rachel churn out the equivalent of 14 loaves of cranberry bread for our apparently hungry neighbors.  And damn right I'm taking a cut of that money - cranberries don't grow on trees, you know.

This gentleman doesn't know what he's gotten me into.



[Cranberry bog image: Mass Great Outdoors Blog]

10 comments:

  1. Oh, my! I suppose you can call it mathematics, economics, and home-ec, all rolled into one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She must have gained a good reputation from last year's baking efforts. Bravo! If I lived near you, I would place an order. I have been meaning for weeks to make cranberry nut bread, but can't seem to get motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reminded of an accountant co-worker who, when her kids wanted to have a lemonade stand in the summer, made them figure out the costs of everything, and calculate their profit based on the sales. The kids didn't know what they were getting into!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. Doesn't she need to buy her own supplies? And pay you if she wants your help? It's *her* business, right? I think it's awesome she got orders, but now...she needs to fill them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she pays me for supplies. I supervise, just to make sure her customers aren't disappointed, but she does the mixing and the baking. Next year, she will probably be completely independent.

      Delete
  5. A young entrepreneur, a leader of the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever girl!
    Good luck to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha what a great idea!! Except I usually give our baked goods to the neighbors for Christmas presents so that might backfire a bit ;)

    ReplyDelete