Tuesday, July 17, 2018

SUCCESS

Okay, I tried a spiffy-looking recipe from the Internet that claimed it was easy and tasted great, and guess what? IT WORKED.

This turned into something amazing.

I'm shocked. I mean, considering all my failures over the years (the Crockpot Orange Chicken Fiasco leaps to mind), I really didn't expect this to work out. But now that it has, I feel as though a whole new life's begun for me. Fancy food! One pot! Everyone happy!

Oh, and icing on the cake - I left right after dinner to take Rachel to Civil Air Patrol. I drove all the way there and all the way back, and then I marched myself into the kitchen, thinking: Okay, just do the dishes right away and then you can play with your yarn this evening.

Reader, are you sitting down? THE SINK WAS EMPTY.

I know! It's as though I walked into the wrong house. Turns out Theo (of the mad grill skillz) was the perpetrator of this good deed. Oldest children, you know - so darn responsible. Now if only it would rub off on the younger ones...




16 comments:

  1. Clean kitchen for the WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your good parenting investment has paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I have seen that Martha recipe all over the place -- good to know it actually works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was hoping when my oldest moved back home I'd have more help but nope not really. Just more piles of cups.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJuly 18, 2018

    Could you please tell me the name of the recipe? I'm in the UK, and food 52 isn't working here these days! I might be able to find it somewhere else. Goodness knows I can use a crowd-pleaser in my repertoire. Hope I come home to a tidy kitchen as well! Thanks, Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Stewart's One-Pan Pasta - you throw the raw pasta in with a certain amount of water and cut-up tomatoes and basil and spices and onions and such and the pasta sort of cooks in its own sauce

      Delete
    2. AnonymousJuly 23, 2018

      Thank you, I googled and found a different site. It looks amazing! Allison

      Delete
  6. That recipe looks amazing!
    Thanks so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GASP!! You mean a child (technically an adult but you know what I mean) actually did a chore WITHOUT PROMPTING?! It's a freaking miracle - contact the Vatican immediately!

    Mine has been home all summer, all day and will not think to empty the dishwasher, take out the trash, you name it, without prompting. And even with prompting he often "forgets."

    And congrats on the recipe working out! That is also huge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not ALL oldest children behave this way. Sigh. Glad you found something that worked. Lots of people struggling with dinner prep- at least on the blogs I read. Reggie decided to clean up tonight while I was at dancing. He took apart the mammoth Thomas train track I built with the 4 kids I sat for today. I promised them we would play with it again tomorrow .Uh oh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. every recipe i try from the internet comes out tasting like borscht. i think i'm being targeted

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, that looks good. When I come home to a clean kitchen, dishes done and floor swept, I know it means the adult child wants something. I'm rarely wrong....sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks really good, and since you promised me that it works, I've pinned it for future use (like when it's no longer so hot here).

    ReplyDelete