Sunday, April 16, 2023

Surgery Eve, Yay

Happy Surgery Eve! When next we meet, I will be missing a few body parts, but I wasn't using any of them anymore anyway, so there's that. I'm terrified, never having had surgery before, but I hear I'm unconscious during all this, so if I can just get to the point where they knock me out, things should be okay. 

A bit of catch-up:

 If any of you believe the adage "You can't go home again," I'm here to tell you that you are obviously NOT an aging Jew who is currently enjoying copious amounts of TempTee cream cheese slathered on matzoh.

Direct ticket to childhood, I swear

In other news, Theo and his wife (does she have a name yet here? WHY NOT?) were between apartments for a couple of weeks in March, so they stayed with us, which was delightful, but I still decided I needed a weekend off during all that (people are more likely to step up with the cooking efforts when I'm not here acting martyred), so I hopped into a car with 2 friends who were road tripping down to the Carolina FiberFest.

Because we knitters be crazy like that, I tell ya...

What with all the knitting I had gotten done during my stressful January and February, I decided I could justify buying new yarn. A lot of new yarn. SO MUCH new yarn. This was, of course, a lie, because there was plenty of yarn waiting for me at home, but hey, when in Rome (or, in this case, Raleigh)...

In my defense, I have plans for ALL of this

I won a door prize (that skein in front) and also another door prize (the black apron in the back). Apparently, my year of being lucky continues. For the knitters among you, from left to right, this yarn is going to become a Depth Cowl, a Bennet Sister Shawl (my planned post-op knitting), a birthday present (sshhh...), and another Pure Joy scarf, like the one I knit last month, only in blue.

See? Plans.

I enjoyed my own hotel room for 2 nights; I also enjoyed not worrying about what anyone (including myself) was going to eat, for 3 entire days. And I don't think anyone at home missed me one bit, which is good but which also made me feel a tad miffed.

I'm a complicated person, I guess. Or just plain fickle. "Complicated" sounds more interesting, though, doesn't it?

Spring did its thing in March:

Cherry trees showing off, as is their wont

But then the weather got really cold, so it was spring and winter at the same time, which was quite confusing. 

Huh, I'm talking about the weather, which means it's probably time for me to sign off. Maybe go eat some more cream cheese on matzoh, I dunno...



16 comments:

  1. Prayers for a successful operation and complete, speedy recovery dear lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope everything goes smoothly for you tomorrow and that you get some sleep tonight. That is a gorgeous batch of yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring and winter have been playing with us here, too. Best wishes tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to do just fine. Best sleep you will ever have.Honest. Just make sure you ask for anti nausea meds included in your iv.
    It's hella scary, I know. Funny story, the first time I was put under for fibroid removal I woke up with a big fat smile on my face. The nurse asked me, "Why are you smiling?" And I said, "it's because I am glad to be alive!"

    Besides, like I told my mom before she had knee surgery, "You delivered 9 big babies in the 50's and you survived!" Having birthed several children is not for the faint of heart, amiright?

    This surgery will be much easier and I bet you wake up with a big fat smile too!

    Now, go kick some butt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courage to you! I'll be eagerly awaiting your update. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I'm a day late reading, it is surgery day. Good luck and I hope your recovery is quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's now Monday, so I hope it's all over and that you recover with minimal discomfort. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope everything goes smoothly!

    That is some beautiful yarn you have there. And of course you needed it all! And my goodness, TempTee cream cheese takes me back: my dad always liked that kind. On bagels, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying the everything went well with your surgery! I'm not a knitter but the yarn you got in Raleigh is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel sure you are in recovery mode now and that everything went well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hoping and praying that all went well. So glad you enjoyed a girls' weekend beforehand. The yarn is lovely and I look forward to seeing what you create. I'm chuckling at people not missing you/you enjoying a hotel to yourself - that's not complicated, it's great news.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, Suburban Correspondent! I think that if I ate a bologna sandwich with chips and Strawberry Quick (Nestle), I might be transported in time to my childhood. Is there such a thing as kosher bologna or do the words "kosher" and "bologna" cancel each other out, given what bologna is made of?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having just had major colon surgery myself, I thought "Carolina Fiber Fest" was a food festival of fiber rich foods. My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you heal well and quickly. I get anxious about medical procedures too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A little late to comment, but I hope the surgery went well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope your surgery went well! I have a few extra body parts left. I kind of am just waiting for them to get tired of hanging out ;)

    ReplyDelete