Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Adieu, Not Good-bye

Forget it, guys; just forget it.  I was going to write a chatty post, all about world events (Bill Clinton? Has Hillary let him out?) and the latest gov't estimate of what how much it costs to raise a child (last year's estimate debunked here) and the fact that our house came this close to burning down yesterday.

When you teach your children to cook, do emphasize the part about not leaving the room when there's a pot (with oil) heating up on the stove.  It's important.

But we're leaving tomorrow (tomorrow!) and I still have to finish going through my stash and deciding which yarn to bring; and then I need to locate all the requisite knitting needles; and then I'll be running to the store to pick up a new pair of snips (because I can't find the 16,000 pairs that are hidden in this house).  Along with doing umpteen loads of laundry so we can pack our clothes and cleaning the house so I'm not embarrassed posthumously....

So, y'all will have to carry on without me.  I'll miss you!  (Weird, but true...)

Pin It

17 comments:

  1. I should post the story some day about when my husband and two older children were watching television in the family room when I came home from working late. I smelled something burning and they said it was my "surprise." They'd made me a bubble bath and lit a candle in the bathroom. The "surprise" was that they'd put the candle under an antique wood-framed mirror and it had caught on fire. There it was smoldering to a fine charcoal crisp down the hall while they stared at The Simpsons.

    Well, now there's no need to post the story on my blog. It's over here on yours.

    Also? Sending Bill Clinton to bring back two women begs fox-in-the-hen-house joking. I'll refrain.

    Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad no one got hurt from the oil. I have friends who got hot oil splashed on them. Not good!!! I stay away from frying foods. I have seen to many oil burns on womans faces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a wonderful vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have an amazing time! I'll be here waiting for your stories when you return. :)

    ps - sorry to hear the house almost burnt down. At least the child was cooking, right??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time.

    I just finished "The Friday Night Knitting Club" and I'm this close to taking up knitting. As soon as the day includes 4 more hours in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darn. I was DYING to hear your 2 cents worth on Bill's trip to N. Korea.
    I'm not at all jealous that your kids can almost start your house on fire and mine can't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO glad you aren't sending this with ashes and red ambers all around you. Enjoy vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have fun on your vaca! You need the break.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great time - I'm leaving for a vaca myself tomorrow, and I.cannot.wait. Hope they don't take away my knitting needles at security.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait, I am supposed to teach them to cook?!?!? They are in big trouble!

    Have fun on vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you have a nice vacation!

    FYI if your kids make Easy Mac, make sure they remember to put the water with the macaroni when they cook it in the microwave.
    Until my kids did that, I was unaware that macaroni was flammable.
    (and it takes weeks for the smell to go away)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll miss you, too. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy the vaca and when you get back? Stop by Home Depot and pick up a couple more kitchen fire extinguishers. Nothing says love like "Teenagers + fire extinguisher"

    ReplyDelete
  14. My microwave still smells "funny" from the time I overcooked a Jimmy Dean breakfast croissant. I don't let the kids touch the oil and the stove at the same time. Heck, I don't let myself do it anymore! Too many close calls.
    I hope you have a wonderful trip! And I'll miss you, too (also weird, but take it as a compliment)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a great time! We'll miss you too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My kids have never done the oil starting on fire thing. My almost 3 yr old did start the microwave on fire last spring when he tried to pop a bag of popcorn. He must have set the microwave for a really long time. Hubby said that it had 30+ minutes on it when he decided to check out Laura's (4) statement that the microwave was on fire.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin