Sunday, August 02, 2009

Surprise!


Shocking, but true: I finished the Baby Surprise Jacket! See? Right up there? The thing that looks like a worsted manta ray? Imagine my dismay, after laboring 145 days (well, off and on) completing a 12-day knitalong, to find that my finished project did not resemble a wearable garment.

Nevertheless, I persevered; after more configurations than one would believe possible for a single piece of knitting, I managed to properly align this magnum opus of mine into a jacket-like posture. Again, ta-da!




No buttons yet, though...don't rush me...

[And yes, all you sharp-eyed knitters - the gauge is totally off, even though I sized down on the needles. What do you get when you knit something at 4.5 stitches to the inch instead of 6? I'll tell you what you get - you get a baby surprise jacket that fits your 4-year-old, only with very short sleeves. But that's all right - my friend has a pleasantly plump 8-month-old baby who won't mind one bit wearing a maxicoat this fall.]

14 comments:

  1. Since all I can knit is a scarf, you've impressed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried knitting once. For about a week. All I got was the same 15 rows messed up over and over... FAIL! Sadly, that was a hobby that didn't stick :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats.... or in Danish that would be "Tillykke!" I've only knitted a couple scarves and I was impressed when one went all the way to Denmark... but this is brilliant! Great job! I like the color, too... and there's stripes in it too... very impressive! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your last bracketed comments cracked me up, because they reminded me of my wonderful MIL who would knit her fingers off for my eldest daughter. The problem was she would knit the baby patterns with big needles and thicker yarn, and of course the end result was an absolutely baby garment that was just too big for a baby. (In fact Possum was wearing some of her 'baby' cardigans when she was 3 year old!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go! I haven't attempted anything NEAR this difficult. Still on scarves and washcloths. Haven't figured out how to change colors, either. Or knit in the round. Or count my gauge. I don't even know why I say I knit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet it would look awesome on a manta ray.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool. I love reading about that sweater, though I don't think I've got the guts to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On that someday that we manage to get together you'll have to bring your knitting and I'll bring my ball of tangled yarn stuck through with sharp sticks and you can attempt to teach me what to do with the mess. Teaching myself was an utter fail. That's probably why I was a homeschool mom dropout.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the color! Wouldn't have noticed anything wrong if you didn't point it out! Note----feel good about doing this and don't add disclaimer!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done!! That is so impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard short leaves on sweaters is "in".
    I love the colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, luscious! It looks like raspberry sherbet. And hey, this way it the kid won't outgrow it as fast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the color with the stripes. It looks great to me. I wish I could knit something like that (or just knit)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh--you did this in two colors! I am impressed. I bet that baby will be STYLING.

    ReplyDelete