Monday, October 19, 2009

Love And Compost

Look at this beauty! I've been haunting the NatureMill website and ogling it for an hour. 50 cents a month to operate! Designer colors! Earth-friendly!

What do you mean, what is it? It's what every woman secretly desires (well, every woman with a fridge filled with rotting produce, anyway) - an electric composter that fits in her kitchen! Combine this brilliant invention with my fridge cleanout posts, and my humble spot on the Internet might become the blogging equivalent of a Prius - earth-friendly, avant-garde, and annoyingly pretentious. I can see it now - "Even with 6 kids, our family produces less landfill waste than the most righteous ZPG'er!"



Check out the website and take particular note of the top left of the homepage - it boasts a picture of a chic-looking couple gazing adoringly at one another whilst the guy scrapes his dinner plate into the composter.
T
hat would be me and Larry if we happened
to own this fine appliance...


Well, if we happened to own this fine appliance and we dressed up all the time...

And I lost 20 pounds...

And, um, we weren't too tired to smile at each other in the evening...

Never mind.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, my. And last night I was thinking (like I do every year when it starts to get cold) that I should really order up a worm composter for the kitchen, so we don't have to walk outside in the cold and dark all winter. I'm still a little confused about using electricity (even just a little) to do something nature does, well, naturally. I suppose you wouldn't want to dress up to scrape your plate into the worm bin, though, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a genius idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a curious lack of children in the photo if you want it be you and Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Haven't been on too much recently but love reading your posts when I am on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caption contest: You scrape the meal I made you into that box and I'll show you compost!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I was thinking about a caption contest also! Look at that strained smile on her face. Isn't it saying, "I can't believe you got me a composter for my birthday, you loser!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait. Is that a man scraping dishes? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Tell me where I can get this machine that causes men to do that sort of behavior...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why didn't the guy eat his dinner? Whatever happened to leftovers for lunch? Composts are for the leftover leftovers that didn't get eaten the next day for lunch!

    Just a couple of wasteful yuppies there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What I want to know is why didn't the guy just EAT HIS DAMNED SALAD? She made that salad, didn't she? He can't just EAT IT?

    Everyone knows cute composters like that are only for vegetable peelings and fridge excavations. Not for actual food that you are supposed to eat. Men! Humpf!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What you're missing is that IF you buy this your life will then look like that couple... lololol

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is exactly why D forbids me to look at catalogs online or otherwise. I get all silly and goofy making big plans.

    ReplyDelete
  12. But...but... It's in their *kitchen*. Can you just IMAGINE what that kitchen is going to smell like a week after they install the thing? Imagine guests at the door, and assuring them, Oh, we just decided we'd get back to the land and set our souls free. Inside, outside, we're all earthmothers and -fathers here! A few worms never hurt anything, they're just doing their cleanup chores. Hey, want to stay for dinner? Hello?...Hey!...

    ReplyDelete
  13. For shame, AlisonH! You didn't watch the video on the website (and how could you resist?) There is a specially designed charcoal filter to make it odor-free. And they're right! I couldn't smell anything on the video.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol! Oh honey. I'll send you one of my ileostomy bags with a charcoal filter, you can test it with your leftovers--hey, swatching!--and see what you think of charcoal filters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am laughing too hard at everyone else's comments to come up with something witty of my own! What will they come up with next?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i had one..piece of crap..it smelled soooooo bad..and ours was in the garage..then it died..oh well...

    ReplyDelete