Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Quiz

Why, hello there! Larry had the nerve to leave me for a couple of days and somehow he took my blogging mojo with him. Also, I've had to do all the work around here. What's up with that?

Today, at our weekly Burger King date (yes, it's a glamorous life I'm leading), 2 other homeschooling mothers and I could not come up with the names of all 9 Supreme Court Justices. We got 8 of them: Souter, Alito, Roberts, Sotomayor, the other lady, Breyer, Scalia, Thomas. So, who's the ninth? Help us out here, or our kids will grow up stupid.

I know I could just look it up, but it's more fun this way. No cheating now!

Also? Among the 3 of us, we could only come up with the names of 3 members of the Obama Cabinet: Clinton, Gates, and Sibelius. Then we argued over whether Obama's Chief of Staff (Emanuel) was a member of the Cabinet or not. And how many Cabinet members are there, anyway? And is "Emanuel" spelled wrong?

These are the sort of things homeschooling mothers discuss at lunch. I'd like to say, in our defense, that any one of us could have recited the 8 parts of speech and the formula for the quadratic equation at the drop of a french fry. Not to brag, or anything...

So? Remember that ninth Justice yet?

19 comments:

  1. I'm stumped. I'm also rather stupid at midnight, and I still haven't finished the newsletter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but I do know the other lady is Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other lady is Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and the other one is Stevens. And NO I did not look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Stevens was the one who was replaced by Sotomayor? No? Then here's the second part of the quiz - whose seat did Sotomayor take?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't help you...and this is why I don't homeschool. (Among other things...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anthony Kennedy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kennedy, isn't it?
    We looked this up a while ago, but I thought I'd give it a go without cheating ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kennedy, but I did double check before commenting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sotomayor replaced Justice Souter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait why is everyone saying Kennedy? Are they thinking Kennedy was a Supreme Court Judge or am I confused on which question they are answering, but then Kennedy wasn't in Obama's cabinet. Hmmm, maybe I should just go back to work now. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a shame you aren't home schooling in the UK. You wouldn't need to know that stuff...

    I wish you were here to teach me how to do quadratic equations. It's a part of schooling that sailed right over my head. Makes me feel I grew up stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Huh? What? I think I'll blame this one on being the product of public education, then living abroad for a chunk of my life and now being a single mom for the last part. I have no energy left to concern myself with these sorts of matters... Pathetic, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Janet Napalitano is the Director of Homeland Security. Is that a cabinet position? I only know that because she was our governor in AZ before she was stolen away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You amaze me. I've decided we must never meet--I'm too dull and stupid to hang with you. Ginsberg.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It took 3 of us to come up with the 8 names. And one of them was wrong. Souter retired; Stevens is still in. So don't be too impressed, Green Girl...

    ReplyDelete
  16. so question- if you homeschool- does that mean the kids have free run of 'school' while you are at bk? that's a school i want to go to!! can i sign myself up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My father-in-law argued before the Supremes a few times, hubby and I grew up in DC, and my husband's college job was running the Supreme Court's computers. I recused myself from this quiz!

    ReplyDelete