Monday, July 05, 2010

Happy 5th of July!

Despite the 2 illnesses currently rampaging through our household, we extended a July 4th invite to friends of ours because, I guess, we are compulsive entertainers. Also? We live in squalor unless someone is expected to visit. These friends proved themselves to be somewhat devil-may-care by saying yes to, "3 of us have colds, and Susie is languishing from her 4-day fever/headache; ya wanna come over and have a cookout?"

Then I didn't sit down for the next 5 hours, what with cleaning bathrooms and swiffering floors and just trying to make things presentable. Even after 20 years, I don't seem to have gotten the hang of effortless entertaining. Is there some secret to it that everyone is keeping from me?

So! Our foolhardy friends brought 3 kids and 2 dogs to Plague Central here. Battle-hardened parents themselves, they didn't even blink when Susie threw up her dinner. In fact, our guests actively participated in the ensuing discussion of whether it was actually Susie or maybe one of the dogs who had barfed. Based on the forensic evidence at hand, we decided it was Susie; because the dog hadn't eaten any frankfurters.

Do I have to draw you a picture?

Don't worry - our friends got even with us by having their dog poop in our family room. Then the menfolk took the kids out to the fireworks, while the other mom and I lounged around the house and talked about how hard our lives were. Oh, and we had pie - lots of pie. Store-bought, of course. And our neighbors sent over a cheesecake they didn't want. When it rains, it pours.

Today? I reveled in my still-clean house and served party leftovers for all three meals. Pie for breakfast! Now I call that a holiday.


[BBQ image credit: rioc.com]
[Doggie photo credit: PetYourDog.com]

10 comments:

  1. Don't you love that points don't count of holidays. That is how it works, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rampaging sickies must always be around for the holidays. My four year old barfed all over my husband and our bed right after we finished watching fireworks on the 4th. I'll give you bonus points for having guests over - I just turn into a witch and complain about cleaning up all the yuckies. Pie would have definatly made it better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang you are always one-upping us: no throw up here for our little party...maybe next year though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Entertaining takes a butt-load of work. We have overnight guests coming tonight, and I got up at 5:30 and busted my behind for two hours this morning. And that after working most of yesterday. And THAT after some deep cleaning last week (washing lamps, windows, bedding). It's insane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJuly 06, 2010

    You had me at PIE. I had pie for breakfast no less than 3 times on my road trip. It was heaven. I need to have people over to get my house cleaned up. Maybe you've shared a secret with me even though you're looking for the secret of effortless entertaining. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As long as the dogs didn't eat those frankfurters afterward....
    You & I might be related. Unfortunately, visiting family no longer gets me into house-cleaning mode. It might have something to do with the month-long visit?
    Mmmmmm.... pie! And cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, pie for bre4akfast.

    I also use visitors as an excuse to clean the house. I schedule visits when the house is extra-dirty, so I will be forced to do something about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No one brought me cheesecake! Ahem. Not that I eat cheesecake anymore. ;)

    I think people who entertain with ease are also those people whose house is consistently clean. They say things like, "Do a little every day, and you won't have to do it all at once!" Like that's a secret. (I also privately think they've probably made a pact with the devil, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll share the secret of effortless entertainment with you: 1) no kids allowed in the house, ever; 2) cater the entire thing, maybe show off your cooking skills by preparing jello and punch; 3) have a cleaning lady come in the day before and of the event, AND every other day of the week forever.

    And finally, some vomit!!! You should thank Susie, I was thinking of un-subscribing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJuly 07, 2010

    THOSE are good friends!
    I'm terrible at entertaining, too. I do know you're supposed to clean bathrooms the best because that's the only room guests are in alone and therefore bound to notice more.

    ReplyDelete