Thursday, February 09, 2012

The Power Of The Blogosphere

Well!  I was planning a blog post in my head all day that was going to urge every one of you to go on over to Momastery and read about the Croyles -- all about how the mom has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and there are 8 children ranging in age from 18 down to baby -- and maybe donate 5 dollars apiece toward sending them on a family beach vacation to remember, complete with a photographer to capture the memories. 

[And can I just put in here that I am so impressed with this idea?  I mean, as I was reading the post, I was thinking, "Oh, yeah, they need help with meals, they need help with housecleaning, they need babysitters."  But Glennon went above and beyond my boring daily-grind perspective and said, "They need FUN!"]

So I was really working on that post. It was funny, too.  I was pretty well pleased with myself by the time I sat down at this computer.  "I'm helping Glennon," I thought.  "I might not be fun like her, and I might not have her imagination; but I can still help." (Have I ever mentioned that, as a young lass, I identified with Velma on Scooby Doo?  So, yes, I was planning to be Velma to Glennon's Daphne.)

Turns out I'm too late.  Momastery raised 25,000 dollars in less than a day.  With no one individual being allowed to donate more than 25 dollars, she still managed to raise 25,000 dollars. 

Wow. Let us hope Glennon never chooses to use her powers for evil.  Imagine if she decided to encourage everyone to wear those awful bubble shorts...

[I WAS going to paste a picture of Daphne and Velma into this post, but I have unfortunately discovered - via an innocent Google Image search - that there are many, many people who have some very strange fantasies about these 2 cartoon characters.  Scooby Doo is now forever ruined for me.  Save yourselves - DO NOT try this search at home.]

8 comments:

  1. ha ha! just say no to bubble shorts!

    isn't this whole thing amazing! i didn't even read glennon's post until all of the money had already been raised! unbelievable. btw, even though your post was a tad late, it was still very funny. and thanks for the warning about scooby doo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So devastating! I lost one of my favorite coworkers to this disease. The day they find a cure for pancreatic cancer will be a great day in history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful. I've never heard of her, but I'm heading over there now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you make me want to try that search.....really, really badly! I was also amazed at the response and the speed that they got the money for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why it's hard for me to support people with large families. If something happens to you, like stage 4 pancreatic, which is always fatal, who raises all those kids? They're already struggling to put food on the table, what happens after she dies?

    A friend of mine lost his wife to cancer and he was left with a 9 year old and a 5 year old to care for. He received over $35,000 from the comedy community. But it didn't last forever. He almost had to take a real job but realized there was no one around to look after his 2 kids. He ended up selling his house to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen Momastery in your side column before... I'm now kicking myself for not checking her out sooner.

    My mother was diagnosed with a stage 4 cancer last year. My heart cries for this family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cancer sucks. Please put them in touch with cleaning for a reason, they will clean your home for free during chemo. My heart aches for this family

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an awesome tribute to the power of individuals. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete