Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Facts Of Life

The girls have band camp this month, so this morning at 7:30 was a typical rush of lunches and instruments and music, mixed in with chores and hair and requests for pizza money. In the middle of all this, I heard Rachel call to me from the kitchen.

"Mommy! What's Pride Day?"

Time to hand this to Susie already
Oh, for heaven's sake - we have 5 minutes until they head out the door and Rachel brings this up NOW? How in the world do I explain this concept quickly? Does she or doesn't she already know what homosexuality is, I wonder? She's seen enough Daily Show to have some idea, though, right? She must know.

But Susie's in the kitchen with Rachel - have I even explained the birds and the bees to Susie yet? I swear, I can't remember. But I don't think so.

I know - Mother of the Year, right here.

All that was going through my head as I walked into the kitchen. Stalling, I asked Rachel, "What's the context? Where did you see it?"

"I don't know," said Rachel. "Everywhere I look, I'm seeing Amazon Prime Day. What is it?"

Oh. PRIME Day. Alrighty then. You know, sometimes -- just sometimes -- life gives you a break.






6 comments:

  1. Actually, you DO get a parenting award: you clarified the question before diving in, so you win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 24 years of experience does pay off sometimes, you know...

      Delete
  2. Hahahaha! Whew! You got lucky on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 14, 2016

    Oh, that is CLASSIC Moments in Motherhood! I'd have been choking, too!

    ReplyDelete