Friday, January 22, 2021

Winner's Circle

I know there has been a lot going on, what with Georgia tipping the Senate and there being an insurrection at the Capitol and also a presidential inauguration happening, but I have more important things to talk about. Not that we haven't celebrated (the inauguration, that is, not the insurrection):

Special dinner for Inauguration Eve


Still, there are other things going on around here, too. For example, when last we talked, I mentioned that Anna had just left us to return to her real life overseas, but I didn't point out that she left on what was also Larry's and my 30th anniversary. 

THIRTY - I used to think that people who had been married 30 years were almost dead. Actually, that's probably what my kids think right now. 

Despite our decrepitude, however, Larry and I kept up our anniversary tradition of seeing which one of us would forget our special day. Still traumatized by the fact that Larry didn't even give me a chance a few years ago to prove I had remembered, I laid my plans carefully this time around. Susie helped me pick out a card the day before ("These are awful!" she proclaimed, perusing the CVS anniversary collection), and I waited until Larry fell asleep that evening to run out to the grocery store for a "Happy Anniversary" balloon. Oh, I was clever! He wouldn't even know what hit him.

Only, there's no one available at the grocery store to inflate a specifically chosen balloon at that late hour. Instead, I had to settle for a pre-inflated, generic "Happy Birthday" one. No matter, I thought, I'll fix it at home.


Turns out, I'm not very good at fixing balloons. Still, my plan worked. He discovered his card and balloon and box of chocolate-covered cherries before I was even awake, and then he spent the rest of the day insisting he would have remembered anyway.

I WON.

I also won a raffle held at my local yarn store on Black Friday:


These are being made into a crescent shawl that I knit while I sit and watch White House press briefings, which are my new jam. Facts! Reasonable conversation! The use of the sentence "I don't know, but I'll find out"! I'm a Jen Psaki fangirl, I am.

Unfortunately, I did not win at picking out pickles. I was planning to make potato salad for dinner, and everyone wanted it the way Anna made it, with some chopped dill pickle in it, so I grabbed this...thing...from the Harris Teeter deli and brought it home. THIS WAS A MISTAKE.

Poor facsimile of a pickle

Two out of three's not bad, though, right?




8 comments:

  1. 1. Congratulations on 30 years and your DIY Anniversary balloon!

    2. I'm still in shock everytime I hear Biden speak because. . . HE USES SENTENCES.

    3. That's not a cucumber --- it's a snozzcumber. (BFG)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! I'm horrible at remembering dates and usually realize the significance of a date days later. Good thing I never got married.

    From this side of the border in Canada, there was a sigh of relief from many. Even with the cancellation of the pipeline, I know this was a positive for the United States.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one forgets dates here. My husband remembers everything but what I asked him to do lol. We don't really do any gifts anymore, usually just a nice dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the race to recognize the day. Nothing says I love you like a little competition. Happy anniversary. And congrats on winning the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a truly wonderful time now, to hear complete sentences uttered by the White House Administration and ideas that make logical sense.
    Congratulations on 30 years--and WINNING (that's totally awesome, to have bragging rights on that). Your cake picture makes me hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on 30 years! That's quite the milestone. The Hubs is a political junkie so teh news is on quite a bit. I try to tune out as much as possible, but it is assuring to get actual facts and not as much spin from the podium for sure.

    Love the yarn! I have some special stuff I got at the Alpaca farm in October when we were on the Vineyard for my birthday. I have saved it in case of quarantine. My fear is that if I do make it into something, I will get COVID, and then I'll be bored.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm on a Blog-A-Thon Read, so I'm late to the Party. Yes, the Joy of having a Real Grownup as Prez again means I don't have to shudder every day at what's being done without careful Supervision. *Whew* Congrats on 30 Years... you Celebrate as The Man and I do... and we forget everything now anyway so it's just one more thing we can't remember.

    ReplyDelete