Saturday, September 08, 2007

Straitjacket Saturday

Like that title? I think it's sort of catchy. And I'm certainly ready for one.

Today is Saturday, so I got to sleep in - I mean, if that's what you call lying in bed from 5:30 to 6:30 with the toddler climbing back and forth over you and leaning her elbows in those spaces between your ribs. Larry had to work today, so I wasn't exactly jumping out of bed with excitement over its being the weekend. As a matter of fact, I've been keeping the neighbor's 7-year-old girl hostage all afternoon, just to keep some of my kids amused (heaven forbid my kids should just play with each other, you know).

It's in the 90's here once again (I know, I know, but I just can't get over it, it's September, okay?) and it hasn't rained in ages (as in, I can't even find the kids' rain boots at this point), but there is a coastal flood warning for tonight anyway. I don't get that. Something to do with high tides and new moons. I didn't know those sort of things mattered anymore, what with technology and all. I mean, it sounds downright quaint. Farmers' Almanac, anyone?

Anna went out in public with me and the younger kids yesterday and didn't even die of embarrassment. In fact, she was downright pleasant; she even smiled at her siblings during the ordeal. I can't imagine what brought that on, unless maybe it was the above-mentioned astronomical/nautical phenomena. I'm glad she's not acting possessed, as Larry and I plan to go out tonight. For all you women who want to know how to get your husband to take you out, it's simple. Just make a dinner that the kids love and that he hates. Works like a charm. And it's not as if I'm hard to please. As long as it's not the Dollar Menu at McDonalds, I'm happy. Well, once Larry blew it (see http://suburbancorrespondent.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_archive.html for details), but I've forgiven him. Sort of.

School? Oh, yes, well, we've been plugging slowly along. All except Rachel, that is, who is taking about a month to whip through kindergarten before she sinks her teeth into 1st grade. I told Brian (2nd grade) to get the lead out - she's gonna need his books soon. I'm just glad that she is bending her formidable will and clever brain to something constructive this year. Another fall of sabotaged toilets and decapitated stuffed animals I could not handle. Anyone who does not know what I am talking about, check out the favorites column on the left. All the gory details are in there somewhere.

5 comments:

  1. So funny! I love these ones that are like letters...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally found a sitter to come in for a regular date night. Every second Thursday.

    But my husband has been traveling so much that he's going to miss the first three. I don't care. I'm not cancelling her. I'm going to have her come in and feed the picky ones and then make them brush teeth and get ready for bed. I'd like to breeze in just in time to read some encyclopedia Brown to Jane and talk about clothes with Ana. My idea of total indulgence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your husband is traveling that much, that's not indulgence. It's necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making a dinner he doesn't like wouldn't work with my husband. He will eat ANYTHING! If he doesn't like it, he just grins and forces it down.

    ReplyDelete