Saturday, October 31, 2009

Neither Rain Nor Snow Nor Dark Of Night...

Halloween on Saturday should be easy. You have all day to get ready, right? So why did Larry and I find ourselves with 4 yet-to-be-carved pumpkins at 2:30 this afternoon? And why was I visiting the grocery store at 3:00 on a Saturday to buy a new battery-operated pumpkin carver? Can anyone tell me?


Believe me...you want scary? Try fighting the crowds at your local Harris Teeter on Halloween. It was a harrowing situation which caused even yours truly - Miss Can't-We-All-Get-Along - to contemplate shoving a certain woman's shopping cart into the checkout-line candy display. Hello? It's a single line for the self-checkouts. Don't give me that crap that there's a line for the right and a line for the left. There is one line, and I am at the head of it. Me, the person armed with a battery-operated pumpkin carver...



The rain began this evening at precisely 6:30 PM, the official trick-or-treat start time... In a perfect world, it would be possible to say to the kids, "Oops, it's raining out there. Take off your costumes, we'll just do it next year!"

Alas! This not being a perfect world, we have 2 soggy princesses and 2 soggier pirates (those felt capes are quite absorbent) traipsing around in the dark with a Daddy who has enough foresight to make them stop at home between neighborhoods to empty their candy bags. "You don't want those bag handles breaking like last year," Larry warns the kiddies as he dashes into the kitchen to pour himself a quick beer. Selfless, I tell you...

14 comments:

  1. I hear ya. I went to Costco today to do my weekly stocking up. YIKES! It was like bedlam. Everyone was honking their horns at eachother, and giving eachother half of the peace sign. What the heck was going on? I couldn't wait to get away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the full moon I tell ya. While I was putting the pumpkin out front I heard some woman down the street exclaim she was going to come to our house for some candy. And she did. And she was in her 30's. And not in costume. And our daughter gave her candy because 'she is nice' which means she isn't nasty like her Mom who would have told the lady she was way too old to be Trick or Treating, not to mention she wasn't in costume.... Yeah, it's the moon which apparently is also making me comment ramble on and on....

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have battery operated pumpkin carvers?
    I found myself going to multiple stores last night at 11:00 pm trying to find regular pumpkin carving tools. I didn't find any, however, I did find a store employee stuffing all of the Halloween merchandise to the end of the isle and replacing it all with Christmas decorations.
    I'm sorry to hear about your rain. My daughter was dressed as the Morton Salt girl and carried a huge umbrella which would have come in handy if it rained, however, it didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Halloween is NEVER easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was our first time in years that we did not have snow or rain for halloween. I was forever grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Battery operated carver???? This sounds like such a better alternative to the serrated 10 inch knife my chickies were wielding unsupervised on the back deck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You mean that there aren't two lines? One day many moons ago, I was directed to a self checkout in Wal-Mart which was shorter because the cashier/supervisor person assured me that each cash register thingy had a seperate line. I have since lived by that rule. I could have had my own basket bashed I suppose!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'll have to stop by my blog on Wednesday to see what the California girls are wearing for Halloween on a balmy October evening. It's frightening.

    I have a special place in the utility drawer where I save pumpkin carving knives and wax crayons for Easter--you can never have too many of either of those tools!

    ReplyDelete
  9. we had a soggy pirate over here, too.

    and here's my thought: one should never, ever mess with a woman with a battery-operated pumpkin carver;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i had no idea that they had battery-operated pumpkin carvers. Very good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My 11 and 15 yr olds carved the pumpkins, nothing fancy, just what they could do by themselves with a sharp knife. I found pumpkin guts all over the buffet cabinet and on the dining room floor. The mess was cleaned up by the boys, after some loud verbal persuation from me. I have enough work to do without extra messes to clean up. Maybe, since the kids have the next 2 days off from school, we could get the 3 bathrooms cleaned in the same week? Stranger things have happened.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm late and all, but just wanted to say that we bought our pumpkin Halloween morning and carved it in the late afternoon. But, at least we got it done, right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. how is it that i didn't know you could buy a battery operated pumpkin carver? huh. we make do with knives.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Battery operated pumpkin carvers?!! Oh. My. Gosh. Where do you get one? I have a feeling this will change my pumpkin carving experience forever!

    Julie in PA

    ReplyDelete