Sunday, November 01, 2009

Sexy Prairie Women Love Reese's

For the second year in a row, we saw a slide in our trick-or-treaters index - a mere 18 cute costumed children showed up at our door last night. That's down from the more than 70 we had come by 2 years ago. It's even less than last year's all time low of 27.

I don't know about you, but I find these numbers disturbing. And when I find something disturbing, I blame the Obama administration. You know, you get those government nannies interfering in your life, regulating your chocolate consumption and banning flammable flashlights from China; and all the fun is drained out of the holiday. What we have now is a population too demoralized to even think about trick-or-treating. They're all huddled at home, hoarding their Reese's peanut butter cups and hiding from the vaccination police.

Or else, it was the steady rain that deterred them. That's a distinct possibility.

Speaking of Reese's peanut butter cups, there seems to have been a bumper crop this year. Or, at least, my kids harvested a lot of them last night. Yum.

Anna woke up sick (again) this morning. Worse, she seems to have given it to me. So, instead of doing laundry, cleaning bathrooms, and getting some editing done, I spent the afternoon sleeping off a headache. To keep the kids busy, I popped in the 2-hour TV movie that kicked off the Little House on the Prairie series. I thought it was a safe choice. I was wrong. Thank you, Michael Landon, for embarrassing my children by kissing Ma Ingalls full on the mouth. Repeatedly. And one time in a drenchingly sexy downpour...

You know, that just didn't happen in the book.

18 comments:

  1. I love Reese's and must consume every available peanut butter cup within a four-mile radius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember that Ma and Pa did seem pretty happy with each other--though in a G-rated way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. K, I have a strong testimony that it was indeed Obama who contributed to the decline in trick or treaters. He has taught our children that they don't have to go out and look for their candy....if they sit around long enough, he will send it to them...no strings attached!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't the original title Little Love Shack on the Prairie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband & I noticed that the taste of Reese's peanut butter cups has changed a bit this last year. Like, they're using cheaper ingredients or something. Well, I suppose that could be a good thing if it means we stop eating them. MIME

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tattytiara - Love Shack - Giggle...

    I had such a crush on Pa when I was little. I think rereading the series is on hand for this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've had the same decline of trick or treaters in our neck of the woods as well. I blame church trunk or treat parties and mall trick or treats. It's much easier to walk a couple of feet before your next candy haul than to go from house to house. You beat me with 18. We had three. They scored a ton of candy though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our index showed a marked increase in the percentage of homemade costumes this year(double candy for those kids, tiny bag of Skittles for the kids with store-bought costumes.) It's that Obama "yes we can!" taking hold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You KNOW you're going to get lots of interesting google searches with that title ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had 68 trick-or-treaters, which was a huge increase over the last two years. What we didn't get a lot of this year was the goofy high-schoolers. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep hearing people say they had just a few trick-or=treaters. We had 205. I know that because we did 200 little bags initially and then had to add 5 more for late stragglers. And for the first time EVER we actually had adults dressed up and T-or-T-ing with their kids. It was too funny!

    But I do agree that P-BO is making a lot of stuff no fun anymore. Maybe part of his title should be changed to Pres. Funsucker. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe you shoulda gone with the Waltons ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We had more KitKat bars than anything else! We got exactly 0 trick or treaters since we live in a rural part of the town. That is why we drive to where the rich folk live to let our kids trick or treat over there! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This year I was amazed with how much our local media and community in general tried to shun the idea of trick or treating. There was no mention in the newspaper or on television about what hours would be sanctioned for trick or treating (as was done in the past) and all local website queries were redirected to "safe alternatives to trick or treat, see trunk or treat." Ugh! I tried asking people who looked at me like I was nuts. "Isn't that dangerous?" They said. "I think the churches might be doing something. Maybe you should just take in a movie, that's what we do."

    Huh? Wasn't trick or treating fun when we were little? I'm a bad person for wanting to let my kids participate? Sheesh! You would think that I had given them lawn darts for Christmas or something.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Waltons...HAHAHA!
    Traffic was slow for us too. I wondered if it was because it was Saturday night and people made plans? No rain, but cold and ornery out.
    But Mr. T was on a mission and 3 miles later he had gathered 7# of candy--which he is sharing with his mama.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We had an increase in trick or treaters. I blame the guy across the street who hands out large candy bars and big stuffed animals. We actually ran out of candy and resorted to handing out some candy left over from Easter, and the stuff we didn't like my daughters stash.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like Obama then, because less trick or treaters means more candy leftover for me. Except, it was unseasonably nice here and the trick or treaters got it all. As for ma and pa Ingalls, EWWWWW!Bet that grossed out the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't even buy candy to give out (no, I'm not going to count the 2 bags stashed under the counter next to the pancake griddle). For the 3rd year in a row, ZERO kids at my door. So of course I took SnakeMaster into town for his annual haul.

    Are Ma & Pa expecting another baby now? ;)

    ReplyDelete