Thursday, June 21, 2012

Birthday Wishes

Today was my birthday (although not officially, since I didn't get my day off yet).  2 friends took me out to lunch while David babysat his siblings; Larry took me out to dinner after I explained to him that the junky pizza I picked up for supper was for the kids, not for me; and then, later, Larry surprised me with some presents.  Honestly, I didn't expect any.  So that was nice.

I bet you all are wondering what you can do for my birthday, right?  No?  Well, humor me.  How's about (if you haven't already) clicking on that Followers thingy to the right there in my sidebar?   I mean, only if you're a regular reader and all.  I wouldn't want anyone living a lie just to make me happy.  The number is at 301 and I'm thinking a nice round number like 310 would be nicer. 

As I've said before, I'm proud to count myself among those people in this world who have life goals which do not make other people feel inadequate.


This is what victory looks like, people.


Really, this has been a lovely birthday.  And it was made even better by the news that many angry knitters with very pointy sticks were able to make the US Olympic Committee back down.  We're still angry, though, because the USOC apology was incredibly condescending.  To paraphrase, the committee said that it was sorry it made all us nice knitters angry, but we had completely misunderstood all the complicated legal reasons behind their having to send that nasty old official letter.  And, please, go ahead and knit them some cute stuff for the Olympics, because they LOVE handcrafted American goods.  Really.

That was a very ungracious way to holler 'nuff, USOC members - but we'll take what we can get.  Let the games begin!


[Birthday cake image: Webweaver]

14 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!

    (You got your husband a CAMERA for Father's Day and you were SURPRISED that he got you some gifts for your birthday? Something is wrong with this picture!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's pretty much been away the past few weeks, so he hadn't taken the kids shopping or anything. So he gets extra points for thinking to pick up some gifts while he was traveling on business!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were taken out for dinner and surprised on your birthday. And hey, at least Larry was in town!

    Perhaps the knitters should knit some thongs for the OSOC...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, somehow my comment disappeared, but happy birthday my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got to enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a knitter (not a good one, anyway), but my daughter and her friends are (it's a great hobby for people on exercise restriction)--I will have to fill them in on this.

    Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well I hope you had a very very happy birthday and plenty of cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had a great birthday! You share it with my son. (He's not great at sharing) xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I missed the knitters vs USOC drama. That's unbelievable. I feel like knitting up a scarf that says something about them being a bunch of paranoid babies.

    Happy Birthday (late).

    ReplyDelete
  10. My apologies for being late with this, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope your follower wish is granted, and if I could follow you twice, I would.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousJune 24, 2012

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    I kind of want to knit now...

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousJune 24, 2012

    Happy happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! We are one day apart!

    ReplyDelete