Friday, June 08, 2012

Tennis, Anyone?

Today, for the first time in 20 years of parenting, I had a sports coach/teacher walk up to me and talk about how athletic my child was and how she really should pursue the sport further.  The first time...and this after I had managed to traumatize any number of her hapless siblings by insisting on their participation in the ritual that is suburban sports.  I have memories of her eldest brother almost crying on his way to swim team, of David standing like a confused wooden soldier during a basketball drill, of numerous children repeatedly tripping themselves on a soccer ball. 

You have to understand, I long ago resigned myself to the fact that my children lacked both the competitive spirit and the hand-eye coordination necessary to succeed at soccer, baseball, basketball, tennis, you name it.  I convinced myself that it was enough if they could participate in one of these activities without doing actual bodily harm to themselves.  And I was comfortable with that.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, after all.

So picture my shock to have a tennis instructor approach me to rave about Rachel's backhand and explain at length what type racket I need to procure for her.  I did my best, you know, to act as if I had had many of these sort of conversations in my parenting career -- as if, in fact, I had not for 2 decades played the role of conversational wallflower when the ever-popular subject of offspring's athletic prowess came up.  Oh, I was the picture of nonchalance! 

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't give that kid an extra cookie tonight after supper.  Thank you, sweetie, for making me feel, at long last, like a legitimately suburban parent.


[Tennis image: Fastest Tennis Serve]

13 comments:

  1. I've only been at this parenting this for 9 1/2 years but if anyone every compliments my children on their athletic prowess in any sport, I will be floored!! Congrats to your daughter! (And to you, because you know your parenting skills totally contributed!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 08, 2012

    Well. Congratulations on your Rachel's backswing. It's such a great feeling to get that unexpected complement, isn't it?

    Also, your road trip post was really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 08, 2012

    My 7 kids have played softball, baseball, basketball,and soccer, and have had tap, ballet, gymnastics and karate lessons. I can honestly say that they sucked at all of them. As you say, the apple doesn't fall far, I faked a back injury to avoid all of highschool gym. Last year my son, 14, joined a bowling team. He had never played before but is a natural, he qualified for the state competition and won a $500 scholarship. Apparently bowling is the sport this redneck family should have been in all along.,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been down that road and it's an expensive one! But yes, it is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome. I can't see that ever happening with my offspring. We are all lucky we can walk - even if I am pushing bike riding with themm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have yet to convince any of my kids that they should sign up for a sport. I offer, they decline, and they are active in their own ways so I don't worry about it, but there are times I wonder what skills they have that remain untapped. How exciting for your daughter to know she has such a talent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for both of you, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bliss! And tennis is the most civilized sport one could excel in as a mother, no? (there are pearls and skirts involved, I think)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cracks me up. And I'm totally in your shoes, too. (The first 20 years of your shoes.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have one competitive child who was squashed of all her confidence by her high school softball coaches sophomore and junior year. That was the end of that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kids seem to be better at being geeks than athletes. I'm comfortable with that... a lot more comfortable than Saturday morning soccer games in the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not alone!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete