Sunday, May 19, 2013

Post-Menstrual Syndrome

Well!  I started feeling better enough today to be bitchy when Larry and the boys returned from their whitewater rafting weekend.  That's me, making you sorry you came home, since 2013...

I don't know...was it being trapped in the house all day with an 8-year-old who can't amuse herself?  Maybe it was seeing both unshowered-for-2-days boys SITTING ON MY FURNITURE before cleaning themselves up.  Or it could have been the mess of sleeping bags and tents in my formerly-known-as-clean living room...

I'd like to blame it all on PMS, but I can't do that post-menopause, can I?  Is it POST-menstrual syndrome now?

I really need to get a new job - at least that used to get me out of the house on weekends.  I'm here ALL WEEK being the mom.  I just can't take it 24/7.  Not anymore.  2 decades is a LONG time.

I feel like this a lot.
I did work a bit yesterday, actually - I gave in to a friend's pleas to help her go through boxes of stuff that she needed to discard or sort or give away.  We powered through 10 boxes in less than 2 hours (while bribing the little girls with chocolate), and then I made sure that the giveaways made it out to her car trunk (to avoid the dreaded household-junk-reabsorption syndrome - HJR, that is, to us professional declutterers).

In the meantime, it is clutter central around this house of mine.   I am SUCH a hypocrite.

This same woman has convinced me to sign up for an MS bike-a-thon in June.  This is what I get for having a friend who is a medical doctor.  My knitting friends just like to sit around and knit and eat cheesecake.  I'm thinking that there are some types of peer pressure I prefer over others.

That's all I got, folks.  The week looms, and I am not prepared in the least.  There's schoolwork, and some boring adult obligations, and Susie has a birthday on Saturday.  Presents might be a good idea, right?  And a cake?

[Clutter cartoon: Shop RTO]

12 comments:

  1. What's something you've always wanted to do? I always feel excited to be tackling a project that's just my own. Sounds like you're in a perfect place to pick something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Making you sorry you came home since 2013" Ha! Best line ever! And so true. My men-folk went camping this weekend and it was the same thing.

    And as far as birthdays go, I don't do anything until the day of. Makes for a hellish day, but I just can't stretch it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 20, 2013

    I am trying to calm down after 'words' with my husband who suggested he'd like to invite people from work around for dinner(as in around 10 including partners)- most of whom I have never met. Major panic, all I can see is mess in every direction in this house and a huge decluttering job is needed. You are so good to help out your friend.
    Since studying and now working almost full-time everything has just gotten out of control over the past year and a half. Would love to book a house cleaner to help out but am too embarassed! We have been renovating for years and the place is such a mess. Hubby wants to show off the new pizza oven he has built and he will do a lot of the food prep but I still feel sick at the thought of how much to clean up and only 2 1/2 weeks to go most of which I am working. Sorry for the vent! Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hosting Bunko in 2 weeks, and I am already starting to hyperventilate at the thought.

      Delete
  4. Just spent 2 weeks sorting stuff, have 5 (32 gallon cans) full or recycling/shredded paper by the road. I still have at least 15 (18 gallon) bins of papers/stuff in the attic that have been there since 2006. I think I will start sorting them out when hubby is at work (4 to midnight). It is much easier to throw out his old college papers, circa late 1970's, when he is not here to save stuff. I may even find his wedding ring, which has been missing for at least 7 years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never get rid of things unless Larry is out of town. And I can picture those cans full of recycling. Sometimes I feel as if we produce that weekly around here!

      Delete
    2. I think most of those bins in the attic is stuff from cleaning out MIL's Florida house, which hubby, his brothers and nephews tackled in spring 2006. I'm not sure, though. My little helpers have been in the attic opening and spilling stuff, looking for their toys. If they do not pick up and a big kid has to clean up after them, they throw all the toys in bins and throw them in the attic. I have 5 bins worth I washed/bleached this week, drying on old sheets on the patio. I still have at least that many in the attic, some in bins, some spread out on the floor.

      Delete
  5. It's always so much easier to declutter at other people's houses, isn't it? I'm ruthless w/ my sister's junk! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I can barely restrain myself when I'm in some houses, but my own house is hardly an example of perfect order and minimalism.

      Delete
  6. Would you please come here and help me declutter? I have some serious HJR along with personifying that cartoon. As an added bonus, it will get you out of the house! Deal?
    Signed, another woman who makes her family sorry they came home...

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousMay 22, 2013

    You have a gift! Keep sharing it! I'm a good declutterer at my own house, but I think I'd be too shy to get rid of someone else's stuff. Oh, and "Speculum" is my security word. WTF???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep getting rid of crap and then I turn around there is more. How does that happen?

    Oh a bike ride, GL! My husband talked me in to signing up for some "monster ride" yes it is called that. I'm pretty sure I'm going to die.

    ReplyDelete