Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Believe It Or Not

I slipped up yesterday: I agreed to meet with friends at Burger King, completely forgetting about my ongoing quest to eat only the food already in our house. I honored the spirit of the Iron Mom subsistence experiment, however, by ordering only from the Dollar Menu. That works, right? I'd hate to be disqualified from the competition at this point.

By the way, BK has this weird thing right now where you donate a dollar to some cause or another and they give you a booklet of 8 Value Fry coupons. So I paid a dollar and bought 8 fries. That can't be right.

Thank you all for the fun potato recipes. We dined on oven-roasted potatoes and carrots last night; and this evening I threw the leftovers in a pan and scrambled eggs with them. Also, I discovered a cache of brussels sprouts in my veggie drawer to serve as a vegetable. Oddly enough, Brian (the quintessential meat-and-potatoes kid) loved them. He kept begging for more.

First the Democrats manage to win a Presidential election and now I have an 8-year-old boy salivating over brussels sprouts. Is it the end times, or what?

15 comments:

  1. I have a meat-and-potatoes son and spouse. Their idea of vegetable is potatoes in every form - mashed, baked, roasted, fried. Especially fried. Imagine my surprise when my spouse discovered his love of .... collard greens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait! It is Weds, I demand fridge pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did you eat ALL the food in your fridge?

    WHY AREN'T THERE ANY LEFTOVERS???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally forgot it was Wednesday! Fridge pictures tomorrow, I promise! Plus a fun song/video - does the excitement never end?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would faint if a kid of mine ever ate Brussel Sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Burger King- Home of the Whopper.
    Great place to break your word.
    Love it.
    Go once a year before Lent.
    Enjoy a big fat whopper with cheese.
    Drooling now.
    Gotta go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My 8 year old loves them too. It just goes to prove taste is not genetic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It IS the End of Days. Good grief!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yesterday as I was taking out the trash I noticed that I liked how icy cold it was getting! The World must be coming to an end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So... you broke your Iron Mom diet with food from Burger King?! Yipe! Clearly, your body is desperately crying for something if it accepts BK. Unless you ordered Chicken Tenders. With barbeque sauce. Those babies are pretty tasty.

    WOW am I impressed that your boy loves brussels sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When Lion was 2 he INSISTED I buy brussel sprouts, so I did. The compost loved them. I remember doing the same thing with my nephew when I was shopping with him as a two year old. At least the compost bin isn't fussy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I personally think we may have dropped into the twilight zone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't sweat it, I already fell off the wagon, husband ordered me to go buy a bunch of stuff for Thanksgiving, and he is not planning anything even remotely close to the original Thanksgiving feast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My 8 and 6 year old boys eat brussel sprouts as long as they are roasted with bacon. They actually cheer when I tell them they are on the menu for that night.

    Bacon is goooood.

    ReplyDelete