Saturday, November 29, 2008

Tweet, Tweet

Today was getting off to a slow start, so Grandpa decided to liven things up by requesting a visit to the local urgent-care facility to investigate some excruciating ear pain of his. I grabbed one of my many knitting bags and headed out the door with him, leaving Larry on his own to wrestle the kids into the proper clothes for holiday-parade attendance. Grandpa got some antibiotic ear drops, and I got over an hour of extra knitting time in. I call that a win-win, don't you?

Except for Larry - he got to sit on a cold sidewalk for an hour waiting for Santa to ride by...

And I'll admit it - I caved. I headed over to Michael's with 2 50%-off coupons in hand, looking to buy some more yarn for the scarf I'm working on. And wouldn't you know, that yarn was already discounted - I couldn't use the coupons for it. So that I wouldn't have compromised my no-shopping-on-Black-Friday principles for nothing, I used the coupons on some other yarn I wanted.

So, yes, I bought 3 skeins of yarn today. But I don't think yarn-buying really counts as shopping, anymore than breathing counts as exercise. Meaning, it's too essential.


Many thanks to all of you who sent me info on Twitter. I managed to install a Twitter something-or-other on my Firefox whatchamacallit, which makes it way more accessible. After wasting an hour on it this evening, I've determined that Twitter reminds me more of an old-fashioned party line (think the Waltons, okay?) than anything else.

Oh, and Larry found my socks. Behind the dryer, happily unshrunken...naturally, I Twittered about it...

[Is that proper usage? Should it be, I Twittered it instead?]

17 comments:

  1. Gah! Am I the last Twitter hold out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey S.C. (I hope it's okay if I shorten your name like that. hee.)

    Glad you got your answers about Twitter since I fell asleep after my overdose on leftovers.

    Glad, too, that you got win-win and it wasn't your butt freezing on the sidewalk. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Win-win!!

    I chose to stay in bed until 11am yesterday and it was GLORIOUS. (Can you tell I'm a bit sleep-deprived?)

    Now I will have to search for you in twitter...and once a week/month you will wonder, "who is this person?" because that is about how often I remember to log in...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you tweeted about it--then again, I know nothing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stop it, all your knitting stories are starting to sway me from my, no needles, yarn or hooks principals :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't do the twitter thing, and only joined facebook to have a peek at some online pals' photo albums.

    And yay for Larry finding your socks! Regardless of how they got there....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since entering the popular vernacular, Twitter can now be used in a variety of grammatical forms, included formal title (Have you heard of the social networking platform Twitter?), common noun (Do you Twitter?), verb past, present, future and a nod to the Greek aorist tense (Could you Twitter me? I Twittered it. I'm going to go Twitter. I Twitter.) We have also validated for use the more informal 'tweet'--commonly used as a shortened verb form.

    Be aware of the developing use of Twitter as an adverb and adjective. We do think these forms will enter common usage soon and will receive appropriate documentation once we complete the necessary forms.

    Thank you.

    (blessings!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll bet the coupon was for 50%, and the yarn was 40% off. That always happens to me in the fabric store. They've moved my Jo-Ann Fabrics further from my house, so unless I have multiple coupons, I just can't justify going. (Unless it's going to prevent infanticide.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't follow you - did you change your name? it says your page doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you can "tweet" things too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought gas and went bowling on Black Friday--so in essence, we spent money. I think your yarn falls under the same category as my beer at the bowling alley:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yarn only counts if you plan to wrap it up and put it under the treeif not, I think your rule is still in tact. In spirit anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now you can explain the Twitter thing to me?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now you can explain the Twitter thing to me?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Purchasing yarn is NOT shopping! It is essentials ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! The Socks That Rock-eted behind there got found!

    As for the rest, me, I'm no Twit. Not yet, anyway.

    ReplyDelete