Friday, July 24, 2009

7 Quick Takes (Why Not?)

  1. I don't care if I have become a BlogHer Ads minion - if I read one more post about all the fun everyone is having out there in Chicago right now, I'm not going to be responsible for what happens.
  2. I know I've mentioned before how teens make us feel ancient, etc. But really? Nothing drives home the fact that you are middle-aged like visiting your child's college-to-be on Open House Day. On the one hand you are strolling across a college campus, channeling your younger self and recalling all the fun you had at school; on the other hand, you are noticing all the other parents there with their teens and thinking, "Boy, do they look old!" And then, reality smacks you in the face - they look like you.
  3. Parents, when your grown children make an effort to call you every other day because you have complained about not hearing from them on a regular basis? Do not spend half the phone time complaining that they are not visiting you enough. It's just not smart.
  4. Today, we had to drive 90 minutes to get to Theo's college and 90 minutes back. It was hell. We are supposed to drive 13 hours next week to get to our vacation destination. If you hear about some children being abandoned on the NJ Turnpike sometime in early August, you'll know why.
  5. Last night Larry managed to talk on the phone with the nice man who has half our vacation money. He assured us that our cottage up North was still awaiting us and instructed us to send the other half of the rent. Should we be worried that the mailing address he gave us is in Mexico?
  6. Ha - just kidding on that last one - but I would prefer to give him the rest of the money once we get there.
  7. So much for assuming that that Cambridge cop was a bigoted idiot [for those of you too lazy to click, that article is headlined, "Crowley Teaches Racial Profiling Class At Academy"]...If the Cambridge police department owes Professor Gates an apology for handcuffing him and fingerprinting him, Professor Gates owes them an apology for verbally abusing Sgt. Crowley, an officer in uniform who was trying to do his job.

16 comments:

  1. Fastest way for a parent not to hear from or receive a visit from an adult child? Complain about it!

    Glad your vacation is still on. I'm taking a 4,000 mile Big Ball of Twine trip in the car with the boys in September that's already wearing me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on all the BlogHer stuff. It's only Friday evening and I am already completely over bloggers posting pictures of other bloggers smiling and looking all goofy. BAH HUM BUG!

    I have noticed that some of the bloggers look bigger now than in their profile picture....one good reason to stay away from BlogHer - no one really needs to see what I look like in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know; I want to be in Chicago and I don't even completely understand what the hell it is!
    Maybe the nice man will let you mail the money later or give it to him. I did that with a tent for my daughter's grad. party, but I had to tell them that that would make me more comfortable, cuz they wanted all the dough.
    Speaking as a former Jersey girl, abandon your kids on the Parkway, not the Turnpike; it's much more scenic and they'll appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We mail our money to England to rent the cottage we stay in every July. And I found the place on the internet. The first year I was convinced we would show up and there'd be no place to stay. LOL! Thankfully that was not the case and we keep going back. I hope you have the same great luck with your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only seen a little of the BlogHer madness. Where do I go to see more? (I'm mental)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there any way you can NOT give the guy your money before it's time? Frankly, he's not giving any good vacation vibes over this way, but maybe you're more trusting than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you done 7QT before? I like it. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, blogher...where the cool chicks go to hang out. Thankfully, I was never cool, so I don't have to worry about the small talk that could possibly ensue from meeting *gasp* real, live people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mother spends an ample amount of her time telling us how ill she is and how we will probably never see her again unless we hurry up and visit, which would be more impressive if we hadn't been hearing it for a couple of decades now. So, we are in the process of making plans to visit over Labor Day...when a sister spills the beans...now we are being treated to 101 reasons why she needs lots of advance notice if we are planning to visit and why we are rude for not giving her enough. *Sigh* I'm torn between plotting to torture my own children in this same fashion one day and vowing to never turn into my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... thank you for the link on the poor cop who has gotten the smack down of international media attention thrown at him. Just horrible. I am proud of the folks that stood up for him in the article.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there...I lurk often but comment never....I saw your comment on Beck's post about math. I would love your take on the different curric. available. We are investigating things for our little guy, and have at least a year before we start, but still..... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You didn't go to Blogher either? THE Suburban Correspondent?

    I'm sure they're all having a terrible time.

    Enjoy that vacation...hopefully it will really happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. 13 hour road trip? Oh...I would need many a cocktail for that...

    Have a great time. And love the last point.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 13 hrs wow...but it will be worth it! Thanks for all the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh I forgot half your sidebar of blogs is filled with BlogHer updates...I feel your pain LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hubby can'y understand why it takes me so long to get to his mom's house by myself with the kids. He can make the 325 mile trip in 6 hours, with 1 stop midway. He goes by himself. :)

    ReplyDelete