Sunday, December 20, 2009

An Amazon Christmas

Some readers thought I was griping about the impending snowstorm in my last post. Nothing could be further from the truth. I love snow. We rarely get "real" snow. I was more excited than my kids were. I'm a poor writer if anyone came away with a different impression. My apologies.

The snowstorm lived up to its hype, by the way. Totally terrific. Sledding, shoveling, hot cocoa, fresh cinnamon rolls....it was Norman Rockwell world around here for the past couple of days.

Well, except for that cop brandishing a loaded weapon at the snowball fight...apparently, light-hearted, child-like merriment stresses him out.

But, as some of you may recall, I had vowed to not do anything for Christmas until after the 15th of December. Having a natural knack for procrastination, this goal was not hard to achieve. And normally there would be nothing wrong with leaving all one's holiday shopping for the last weekend before Christmas, a weekend which usually does not include a freak December snowstorm - a snowstorm large enough, in fact, to shut down Target, and Michael's, and BooksAMillion.

Yes, I know - I am such an extravagant shopper.

All of which is to explain my post title. Imagine my joy to discover that Amazon.com guarantees standard-shipping delivery by 24 December. Good through the 21st, fellow foolhardy procrastinators! Hurry!

**************

Stay tuned tomorrow to learn why the Brits are mad at us American barbarians again...


[picture of cinnamon rolls courtesy of The Prepared Pantry]

15 comments:

  1. I *love* this information. I've decided to get my husband a laptop at the last moment (NOT that he deserves it) and Amazon will be my first choice. We shan't have to worry about snow storms impeding delivery here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just submitted my last (probably not) order to Amazon. Waiting for the boxes to show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No kidding, I stood in line for an HOUR at the grocery store. I had one person with me who was being exceedingly good, and then when I finally figured out WHY it was because she had grabbed a bag of candy and was munching on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm heading out in the morning, and possibly on Tuesday, too, because I am a fellow procrastinator. And also because we have an invitation to an awesome sledding hill north of us (they had a tractor parade to stomp down the snow on the road to their place). After all, what's more important, shopping or sledding? :)

    Amazon became my BFF on Saturday. Free shipping and guarranteed by Christmas! (I joined the free trial offer.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wait until the last week--you made me realize I can only get away with that because December is not firestorm season in San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am disappointed. I thought you were fed up with snow and were heading to the Amazon for a nice warm Christmas. You could always come here - it's drier and there aren't any leeches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought your excitement about the snow showed throughout your previous post. My 4 year old hates me (and everyone else) at the moment because he wants it to snow so bad. I keep telling him it hasn't snowed here since 1977, but he still is hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just from past experience... Amazon isn't 100% reliable on Dec. 24th delivery. I didn't get one package on time last year and they weren't even apologetic about it. So, if it is a critical gift, you may want to find it locally. At the time, last year, I read many other comments from people on Amazon who said the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The online companies have really made a push this year to get our business -- I LOVE it and have taken advantage of it too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you had fun playing in the snow! I too love Amazon--for my husband who keeps adding to his list up until the very last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum...the cinnamon rolls look delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started my Christmas shopping on SATURDAY.

    I am so screwed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow on that cop. Dude, these are the people who helped out and had just pushed a cop car out of the snow--you pulled a gun on them?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAY for you! I'm so glad I'm not the only procrastinator.

    And I love, love, love Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Amazon.com. When the twins were little, I did almost the whole Christmas thing with them and waited for all the little packages to show up. I like your goal, I should start making goals that I naturally achieve.

    ReplyDelete