Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chappy Chanukah!

I've been so busy talking about paint colors, and Irish Christmas music, and Christmas preparations (or my lack thereof), you would think that I had forgotten my roots.

Nope. Much as Christians this time of year become embroiled in discussions of the true meaning of Christmas (when they aren't trampling each other in an attempt to get those Black Friday specials at WalMart), Jewish people spend December arguing (because that's what we do best) over the proper spelling of Chanukah/Hanukah/Hanukkah/Chanukka. It's an age-old question that has stumped the best minds of our (Chosen) People. I'm sure even Maimonides spent his Decembers scratching his head in puzzlement over the orthography of our Festival of Lights. Let's face it - you can't be called the People of the Book and not even know how to spell your own holidays.

I'm babbling here.

We're celebrating Chanukah here this Sunday. What? It ends this Saturday? Darn. It seems that 8 days was not enough for me to be able to make those latkes (or as John Oliver calls them, hash browns) on time. 8 days, 10 days - when your religion is over 3000 years old, do a couple of days more or less really matter?

Oh, and here is what I am not doing this year...



Anyone who can rhyme "Rosh Hashana" and "Arizona" is all right in my book - and I don't care how he spells it.

17 comments:

  1. I was just thinking last night, as I struggled with a headache and Tylenol PM, that with your vow to postpone shopping how will you ever be ready for Chanukah (or Hanukkah) in time?
    See how high you rate? I even think of you when I'm not feeling well! I'll step away now so I don't cough on your latkes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black Friday. Psshhh. Foolish gentiles. Lets hope they don't find out about Jewish Tuesday (Jewsday). That's when the real bargains come out. I'm making my latkes Friday. You are so clever, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad you gave me permission to spell it however I want. We were driving by a synagogue yesterday and their menorah was lit and everyone in the car burst forth with cheery well-wishing.

    My little Christian boys would convert in a heartbeat for eight days of hash browns.

    Happy Hanukkah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Tom Lehrer. We've had latkes twice in the past few days...and we aren't Jewish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's it? No mentions of menorah hijinx or fights breaking out over the dreidel? I'm so sick of Christmas I definitely need a Hanukkah interlude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum. I can't make them though. My kids always turn up their noses at mine. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWESOME!

    Let us know how that not-preparing-yet thing goes. ;) Expectations are such an inconvenience, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no idea what's going on here. You're Jewish? I thought you were Mormon cuz of that button down there in your sidebar. Again, I have no idea what's going on here, but I like how you spelled Happy in the post title. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! I thought I knew every Tom Leher song! We grew up with him (parents of a certain age) and got the 2nd dose on Electric Company (Silent E!)

    Thanks so much for making me laugh and Happy (C)Han(n)uk(k)ah to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So that means gentiles can spell it any way we want,too?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a new Tom Lehrer to me--thank you! Okay, though, now my brain is going to be singing "I am changing my name to Chrysler" for the rest of the night and probably the rest of that whole album. Make it stop--it's Lehrering at me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. But thanks for clearing that up--until this moment I thought Chanuka and Hannukah were separate holidays. I'm not a chosen person, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're not Jewish either, but I've made latkes 3 days this week courtesy of my Jewish girlfriend & her recipes. Your Tom Lehrer song reminded me of the Adam Sandler Hanukkah song...makes me smile every time.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrd9p47MPHg

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always wondered about that whole Chanukah spelling fight.

    I still don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been known to put off Christmas, why not Ch/Han/nn uk/kka/h? Great song, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore Tom Lehrer. The "Masochism Tango" is one of my faves. And while I was impressed with the "Rosh Hashana" and "Arizona" rhyme, I loved the "Yom Kippur" and "Mississippi" even more.

    Even better, my daughter was listening with me and she said, "Harmonica?! Did you know that goblins are afraid of harmonica?" We are so clearly NOT Jewish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lulu is still singing a made up "harmonica" song. This could go on all day.

    ReplyDelete