Sunday, August 28, 2011

No More Dishpan Hands

Exciting news - "Ranson, West Virginia" has just outed herself in Thursday's comments.  Welcome, 6.pac.mom!  I'd link to her, but she doesn't seem to have a blog.  And yet more exciting news - Larry installed the used dishwasher for me.  It was gifted to me by my recently deceased friend, in a manner of speaking; her daughters had to replace all her appliances in order to sell her house.  I am convinced that this dishwasher will work out, as it turns out that my friend bought it on MY BIRTHDAY back in...oh...the year 2000.

It's not old, it's experienced.  Besides, she didn't use it much - just to drive to church on Sundays...



Never mind that it seems to be creating a puddle when I run it.  I can just mop that up.  The bar, it has been lowered around here, I'll tell ya.  Also exciting?  I used one of those cute little square dishwasher detergent tablets instead of the traditional powder.  What fun!  I never would have tried it, but that's what my friend used; and I don't want to make any changes that would destroy the magic.  It cleans dishes!  And dries them!  Without bickering!  How amazing is that, anyway?



[Cascade image: The Stir]

11 comments:

  1. At some point the amount you've paid to get rid of the used appliances outweighs the cost of a new one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We post them under "Free" on Craig's List - we generally have several people asking to take them off our hands. Hard to believe, but true...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I'm Ranson, WV? Okay, except I have never been there? The time frame fits though. But the fact that I am waaaay over on the other side of the country gives me pause. And if I ever do have a blog, you'll be among the first to know. I spend too much time reading them to write one.

    Sooo excited for the dishwasher!! And my husband is a maintenance man/electrical tech so I may be able to walk you through some of these household nightmares. When we moved in to our house 14 yrs ago our dishwasher was peeing also. Hubby fixed it in about 5 mins! There was a loose screw or seal? Been too long ago to remember. (for heaven sake-that was back when I only had 3 little darlings! My brain is mush!) Anyway, have Larry check the screws etc. If that doesn't work, then I'll ask hubby. Good luck! Oh and sooo sorry about your friend. I cried when I read that post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big believer that if we set the bar low enough ANYONE can be successful! Some days just making it to sundown without fatalities truly does count as awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, so let me just tell you that Mom would have NEVER tolerated bickering from her dishwasher :)
    I hope it stops leaking soon. She wouldn't have tolerated that either.
    Now, if you go to run it and all the dishes have been rearranged in a certain way, and no one claims to have done it? That would be her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the dishwasher! And what's a little puddle, anyway...an opportunity to clean the floor again in that area.

    I just got a new fridge, and for the life of me, couldn't figure out why there was so much condensation on the doors. Call the store, they send a repair man. He opens the fridge door, shows me the little switch to reduce condensation during the warmer months, and voila, no more condensation. "I'm supposed to charge you for this.", he said. "Did you read the manual?" "We'll just call it a little loose wiring." Yeah, mine.

    Wishing you equally simple luck at fixing your dishwasher leak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at you! Life of Leisure . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yayyy! Congratulations! I knew it had to be a new dishwasher -- cause I couldn't imagine you adopting another child just to do the dishe...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! Got my fingers crossed for you that this one stays around a while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have Larry take the access plate below the door off, then run the dishwasher and see if you can spot where it is leaking. It is probably something slightly loose.

    I usually fix my own appliances. Even if hubby knew how, he would never make the time. As long as there is a single clean dish, glass and piece of silverware, he would not think of washing any dishes. He insists we do not wash them correctly, he washed dishes in a camp kitchen for 7 summers growing up, so he knows the "right" way. However, he can not wash them his way unless the sinks and countertops are clean, so he has room to work. If they were clean, wouldn't that mean all the dishes are done? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We got a sample packet of all-in-one pellets with our dishwasher, and I thought they were almost embarrassingly fun to use. Wheee, cute little pellets!

    ReplyDelete