Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sweet Sorrow? I Think Not.

The blogosphere is a diminished version of its former self today.

No blog is an island, entire of itself; every blog is a piece of the Internet, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less...any blog's death diminishes me, because I am (way too much) involved in the blogosphere...

RIP, Women's Colony. Alas, we hardly knew ye! You were a place for authentic women's voices to be heard, a site where sensitive issues were discussed, a well of collective feminine wisdom and support that is hard to come by in these days of scattered families and busy lives.

And, of course, there was the mancake in that lovely Cabana of yours...

Fare thee well, beloved Mrs G - I am forever indebted to you for the laughs and the thoughtful prose. The thought of blogging without you is almost too much to bear.

12 comments:

  1. Surely Mrs. G won't be disappearing forever, right? RIGHT???

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 15, 2010

    hanging my head in a somber moment with you, SC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is she leaving because of the religious bruhaha (sp?) you posted about earlier? So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so so sad about this. I actually had tears in my eyes when I read about it and all the goodbyes from the contributors. The Colony will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still can't believe it's over. The Colony was a dream for so long and a reality for such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It keeps hitting me. When I have a second here or there I check out TWC on my phone. Sad reminders over and over that there isn't anything to check out box longer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems blogs are shuttering all over the place. I've been saying this for a month or two but I think blogging is on the wane and the only people left standing will be those who have been around for years.

    Facebook and Twitter are more appealing, take less time and have other qualities blogs just don't have.

    Last year I lost 9 readers who all shut down their blogs and went to Facebook.

    Many of us have taken down BlogHer ads as the revenue dropped significantly. (4 that I know of personally) BH claims it's because they didn't have a lot of ads but I think it's because readership is down and it shows up in the checks we receive.

    I'm coming up on 4 years of blogging. Frankly? I'm not sure I have anything left to say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzy, that's an interesting thought. I've only really been aware of the blog world for about a year, and I think I feel like there's more and more of it as I keep discovering more and more of it.

    That's an interesting perspective. Do you find that people don't even read blogs anymore? Because that's a whole lot less of a commitment than writing one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good writing will always be sought out by dedicated readers everywhere. While Facebook and Twitter have their pluses, they can't handle a thoughtful essay. And I see FB and Twitter dovetailing with blogging. The difference I'm seeing is a weird phenomenon where readers read my posts then go to Twitter, Facebook or email to respond instead of commenting on the site. Odd.

    ReplyDelete