Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Trying To Feel Useful

Support Doctors Without BordersA friend of mine has a Navy Seabee son who just arrived in Okinawa.  He's already suited up and part of the clean-up effort.  Another friend has a Marine aircraft mechanic son on the USS Enterprise somewhere near Libya.  Moi?  I'm spending my days in relative safety, watching videos of Japanese people hiding under desks while their offices shake around them or running for high ground as their cars wash away.  I figure the least I can do is send money.  So I did.  And you can, too.

Doctors Without Borders is in Japan right now, helping people on the ground.  Just click on that picture up there and you can help out too.  They don't allow directed giving however; if you prefer, the American Red Cross lets you designate your donation specifically towards the earthquake/tsunami fund.


And now?  Back to those videos...

5 comments:

  1. For people who want to help with lost animals in Japan:

    http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/5-ways-you-can-help-animals-in-japan?awesm=awe.sm_5HAIS&utm_content=awesm-tweet-button-horizontal&utm_medium=awe.sm-twitter&utm_source=twitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. When things like this happen, it really makes me think about how lucky I am--something I should be more cognizant of every day. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me cry every time I watch the news. And the poor rebels in Libya have been mostly forgotten. Remember to time your revolution NOT to coincide with natural disasters if you want the world to support your revolution!

    Some blogger (no, I can't remember who! Too many good ones including you!) had a link to a very persuasive essay why you SHOULDN'T give dedicated funds when disasters occur. Basically, unrestricted giving allows the NGO to direct funds where they need them most, including preparedness so they can move quickly when something happens. That's
    why Docs w/o Borders doesn't allow you to specify, and why they can be in Japan already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you--sending money to the GOOD organizations. Those people need every kind of blessing, but mostly the kind that comes as cash from us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My BIL is from Japan. Thankfully, he is from Yamagata city, on the other side of the big island, where there was not a lot of damage.

    ReplyDelete