Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Exercise - Who Needs It? Not Barbie...

Every once in a while, scientific research comes along which reaffirms my faith in the ultimate justice of our universe.  This article, for instance, talks about a study which found that exercise does not help people lose weight.  Take that, all you self-satisfied early-morning joggers...

[Please note that I was way out in front on this important issue, as shown by this post from 2005, wherein I asserted that exercise can actually make one fat.]

***************

David spent today teaching Susie how to joust with the craft-stick-and-duct-tape swords that he created.  I must say, Susie is a very giggly jouster, even when (especially when) theoretically cleaving her unfortunate opponent in two.  How...um...sweet...

Whatever happened to playing with dolls, anyway?  Do little girls do that anymore?  My best friend and I used to spend hours playing with our Barbies.  At my house, my Barbies led a cloistered existence, focused on fashion and undisturbed by any love interests or significant others. It was only when they got around my friend's Barbies, with their swingin' Country Camper and their slightly randy Ken, that things got a little wild.  There was skinny-dipping, too, if I'm remembering properly.

I'm getting off-topic here.  Which was....what was it?  Oh, yes - don't exercise.  And watch who your daughter is playing Barbies with.  And, um....Barbies are skinny because they never, ever exercise....

Maybe it's time to sign off for the evening...


 


13 comments:

  1. I am so glad that I read this post tonight. I was contemplating a walk on the treadmill tomorrow morning, and now that I know that I won't be losing any weight, I will probably just not bother.

    I totally had that Barbie Camper!!!! I got it for Christmas when I was 5. I might just send you a picture........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have the camper, but my barbies had plenty of alternate exercise. One of them ran a gymnastics class. I was officially weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had that camper too not that it got much use. My massive Barbie collection could usually be found at my two brothers GI Joe 'compound'. Barbies were beheaded. Legs chopped off and my brothers were not into the Geneva Convention and how it covered my dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! Theo used to play with Anna's Barbies, which worried Larry until he saw that Theo was primarily occupied in undressing them or knocking their heads off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I played with Barbies they always seemed to either be in the hot tub or the pool. Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I HAD THAT CAMPER GROWING UP! (Squeal!)
    Your exercise theory sounds a lot like my work theory--if you work outside the home, you spend more money. I'm waiting for a government grant to come through so I can publish my findings to great Republican acclaim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Barbies were little sluts. Seriously. When I'd get together with a particular pair of girls--we all lived in the same neighborhood--the Barbies just completely whored it up. I still wonder how any of us knew so much at that age about what older boys and girls might be doing on dates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "slightly randy Ken"... too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So... let me get this straight. If I give up exercise, I'll get really thin and maybe also grow disproportionately big boobs, and start getting all kinds of cool ho clothes. Is that what you are telling me?

    ReplyDelete
  10. And a Country Camper! How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exercise makes you feel better, but only practically starving yourself causes weight loss. Which would be why I'm fat and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't have the Barbie camper . . . but we did have the Barbie Townhouse (three stories w/ an elevator).

    I still have it . . . all boys and no girls means it's collecting dust in our attic.

    Once, when my boys were 2 and 4, they used it for headquarters for their Power Rangers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter is totally down with the Barbies. I was more of a Bryer horse girl. Set up my stables. I only needed one or two Barbies, so they could ride the horses.
    I have listened outside her door when she and her friends are playing, and while it appears her Barbies do have a social life, it seems pretty tame at this point.

    ReplyDelete