Monday, November 16, 2009

Book Review (Sort Of)

I know it's hard to believe, but I'm not in the mood to post. Life is just smacking me around a bit too much the past couple of days...

Plus, I've been spending my spare time reading an actual book. If you haven't read The Glass Castle yet, check it out. The description sounds depressing, but it's not. I mean, it should be; but for some reason it isn't. The author is definitely not a whiner. Unlike, say, yours truly...

I'm thinking of doing a giveaway once I'm done with it, but I guess I'll have to buy it first. Right now it's still over at Barnes and Noble where I've been sneaking peeks at it rather than doing my editing work. I'm just proud of myself for reading something that has paragraphs that are longer than 2 or 3 sentences each. I think my brain's been shrinking.

Oh, and things got so bad in the refrigerator that Larry cleaned it out while I was gone on Saturday. I think it was the liquefied tomatoes in the bottom of the produce drawers that got him. When I came home, both produce drawers were sitting on the counter and filled with soapy water. And the fridge was half-empty. I don't know what he threw out and I don't care. Free, I tell you - I feel free!

I did clean out one of my kitchen cabinets the other week. I do regret not taking a picture of a (very old) bag of pita bread I found - most of it had turned into this weird brown powdery substance and the remaining solid parts were green. Come to think of it, I probably threw out the cure for cancer.

Oh, well, there's more where that came from...

19 comments:

  1. The Glass Castle is excellent. I'm now reading Jeannette Walls' next book, Half Broke Horses, about her grandmother. Also excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Glass Castle is in my top 20. Oh, how I love that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here? My kids would have brought that bag of bread over to me to ask, "is this good?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother's fridge is always an adventure in discovery. Old butter tubs filled with leftover from God knows when. Sometimes I have to count to three before I'll open the lid. Just to prepare my senses for what may be.

    I read the Glass Castle. Interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dh has been going through books. I love books. He is trying to cull 50% of them. I am stressed!! I wish he'd look in the fridge instead of on the bookshelf.
    I regret not calling you about a handbell concert on Saturday evening (it was in your neck of the woods). I was there and it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved The Glass Castle. Really a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got that book from the library the year we were in the US and I loved it! It was so good, and so different. Another one in a similar vein (girl grows up in seriously deprived circs yet surmounts all with sense of deprecatory humour and lack of whininess) is The Sky Isn't Visible From Here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool. It looks like the sort of book that will make me feel like the best mother ever in comparison.

    I'm sorry life's been smacking you around. Do you know what I learned yesterday? They will send your kid home from school if he's not covering his cough well enough. I let the nurse know that if I keep the other one home for coughing (he'd refused to go that morning, so he was home with me anyway), she'll see him again in the spring. When we were homeschooling, you know, we didn't have so many absences for not covering our mouths properly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For us, we have problems with liquefied cucumbers...the darn things seem to turn to soup before we can use them.

    I don't even like them very much anyway...maybe I should just stop buying them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I threw out green bread this morning. I should have just saved it and given it to my son and saved myself the $6 penicillin prescription.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa--you mean if I let things sit long enough, my partner might do it for me? I'm totally trying this tactic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read that book quite a while ago. It has stayed with me since then. I wish I had kept the book. I will say if you read her current book 'Half Broke Horses' it will put her family in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVED that book. Thanks to your other comments, I now know that she has a second book out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of the best things about being pregnant was that I couldn't handle cleaning the fridge out. The smells were too much. That is the ONLY time my husband would ever do it. Almost makes me want to get pregnant again. Almost, but not quite. Although...if the yogurt starts to curdle and the spaghetti sauce starts singing opera, I just might get amorous...

    ReplyDelete
  15. OOOKAAAAAAYYYYYY. i've been putting off this book for years. seriously, years. every time a friend tells me to read it, i read the summary and put it back down. it's on my goodreads shelf called "no way".

    if i don't like it... ummm... well, i got nuthin'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My fridge would have to have alien creatures creeping around inside before my husband would make a move to clean it...you're one lucky gal!

    I've been meaning to check out that book...thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, exactly - the fridge was that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved that book! My fridge would win this week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Along the same lines: My Lobotomy by Howard Dully. Talk about your bad parenting, and your untested medical ideas taken to the extreme. Lobotomobile, nuff said.

    ReplyDelete