Monday, December 28, 2009

A Knitter's Christmas

I know! I haven't been around much. I've been obsessed by a handwarmer pattern in Chic Knits for Young Chicks - I had to reknit them a few times (altering the pattern) to get them to suit. See? Over there to the right? I actually finished them. I rarely finish things. Now I can type on my laptop in our freezing cold Starbucks without my fingers going numb.

And my socks! I'm still working on my purple Donegal socks. And the baby hat for my friend's one-year-old....and a poncho for Rachel. Of course, I ended up spending hours on Ravelry updating my projects file and researching patterns. For you non-knitters out there? A knitter cannot think of a more fun way to spend her Christmas. Strange, but true.

At the bookstore where I worked last year, we had 2 people who always hung out there (and never bought anything) that we called Boris and Natasha. She was Ukrainian, and he looked exactly like Boris. Freaky.

Why am I sharing this? Because we gave the kids 2 Rocky and Bullwinkle DVD's for Christmas. I don't know if they like them, but I can't get enough of Boris and Natasha myself.

We stuck to our tradition of watching It's A Wonderful Life on Christmas Day. Have I ever mentioned how much I love that movie? I mean, aside from the scene where Donna Reed is putting up wallpaper with 4 little ones underfoot, which is still a teeny-tiny bone of contention in our marriage. Larry and I are good at arguing over fictional characters like that.

Uncle Matt (who drove down with Grandpa on Christmas Day) arrived during the movie and said, "I've never seen this." The man's 50 years old. Where the hell has he been the past half a century?

That's me and Larry and 4 of our kids. Really. I look just like that. I mean, when I'm not looking like Mary Tyler Moore on the old Dick van Dyke show.

We all need our little fantasies, don't we?

14 comments:

  1. I have always thought that Larry looked like Jimmy Stewart! No wonder you like the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a weird kid who didn't like cartoons--except for Rocky and Bullwinkle. That show, I loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, that does look a bit like you! :) "It's A Wonderful Life" is my favorite Christmas movie, but I only have it on video and I can't figure out how to watch the VCR anymore. The kids SAY it's easy, but I only just figured out how to watch a DVD on our 10-month-old system. In my defense, it requires the use of 3 different remote controls.
    Those handwarmers would be a wonderful addition to my middle-of-the-night computer usage. My right hand is just about frozen right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an awesome movie--we watched it too. And I cried a lot. And every year I marvel at the awesomeness of the entire film--including the one-liners that I never remember (like Nick saying, "How about I slip you my left as a convincer?" in that crazy NY accent).
    I have a pair of handwarmers like yours and LOVE them. I need to learn how to make them so I can make MORE in every color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spent an hour and a half last night on Ravelry/Knitty. My problem is that all these knitters are waaaay more advanced than I.

    I did finish some handwarmers that I love even though they're big enough to fit my husband's hands. I'm telling myself the roomy look is tres chic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite line of "it's a Womderful Life: "George, why must you torture the children?" I say that one all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobody will watch that movie with me. I guess I'll get it out on New Year's Eve and watch it by myself while Critter is away babysitting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely...and I have to admit I have never seen the whole movie in one sitting, I've always caught one part or another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mitts look lovely and toasty! I really need to make myself a pair...I've done four or five pairs, but keep giving them away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm just starting on a pair of mitts that look similar. I just know I'll have to start them over a few times too. I've never tackled mittens. I just finished two hats and something like 12 dishcloths.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those handwarmers would be perfect for our weather here! I so love them...not enough to figure out knitting, I'm hopelessly daft when it comes to crafty things, but, enough to look for a pair on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zuzu's petals! Where has he been?! My fantasy is to have handwarmers like those.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that movie as well and watch with my daughter every year. The only part I hate is when Clarence tell George how horrible Mary's life is... she's an old maid working at the library... he makes it sound as though she was tortured!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite part is where the gym floor rolls back and they Charleston into the swimming pool.

    ReplyDelete